Good Books

Really surprised to see Wild Houses there, it’s not a bad book by any means but not booker friendly I’d have thought

Recently read “The bee sting” by Paul Murphy
About 150 pages too long.
Was alright but don’t think recommend it anyone

Edit: So it actually not a good book at all

3 Likes

I’m half way through it. It’s an awful drag. Characters not especially believable or relatable

1 Like

Currently reading Heart of Winter, the Kevin Barry book. I think he over does the flowery language a bit.

1 Like

He’s a lovely writer and it’s a great book but I do know what you mean.

“A town of whores and chest infections” is a wonderful line.

1 Like

I started this last night and so far I agree with you, it makes it hard work to be honest
Barry is a superb short story writer, I’d be as happy if he stuck with that.

Help needed, I picked up a book in O’Mahonys last week that o wanted to get on Audible
It’s about the 90s decade and I’m pretty sure it’s called after an oasis song lyric or title, I thought it was ‘as he faced the sun he cast no shadow’ but it doesn’t appear to be
Anybody know the book I’m thinking of?

Read Sleepwalkers on your recommendation. Really good book in its own right but best book by a mile that I’ve read on the causes of WW1. Another book though that you have to have the time to read 70-100 pages a day minimum or you’ll get lost.

4 Likes

I finished this last week and loved it. Thought it was his best novel by a mile. He has a flowey style but i think he is a brilliant writer. Irreverent and lyrical. Id be surprised if this book isn’t made into a film. The Coen brothers would be well suited to it.

2 Likes

I struggle with really long books. They seem too much effort or something so I don’t try.

1 Like

While we were getting high ?

1 Like

No, that looks like a picture book

‘Dont Look Back in Anger: The Rise and Fall of Cool Britannia’?

2 Likes

Possibly, but I don’t think so, I thought it was a recent publication, it was in that section anyway

It’s actually called ‘faster than a cannonball’ by Dylan Jones

1 Like

So close!

My book about the 90s will be called ‘slowly walking down the hall’

1 Like

I got through about 100 pages of it and then wondered why I was wasting my time l. Dreadful shite.

1 Like

My god, 1984 is so good. Absolute senior hurling level literature.

2 Likes

The rats!

2 Likes

Great series. Last couple of books are shit though.