Good Books

I’ve read it, I’d say it has a strong bias.
The Boston College bit was mental, I’d no idea of the dynamics of it. What a fuck up.

Agreed on all three…excellent writer

2 Likes

Sad not to see The Toy Man getting the credit here.

5 Likes

For those of us uninitiated, what is the Toy Man?

Tubbers. The man who taught Irish men how to pick up a book.

4 Likes

I’m about half way through this. A great read.

In many way a typical Irish upbringing in a musical family. Doing gigs with his Dad in the Tulla Ceili Band dressed in his confirmation suit, spending more time hanging out with old men than kids his own age while a teenager, having the pioneer pin, supporting Fianna Fáil.

But that life brings difficulties later in terms of adjustment when you go out by yourself into the big bad world,

4 Likes

Finished the new Donal Ryan book yesterday
If you want to read it you really do have to reread the Spinning Heart beforehand, it adds so much ny being familiar with each characters piece in that.
The characters are beautifully drawn, the background story here is a little bit thin, he’s an amazing writer
8/10

2 Likes

I’m about 100 pages in and enjoying it. I like how each character/chapter adds a subtle layer to the story.

Like you say, being familiar with the previous books enhances it alright.

Tubbers mused

“ I have done the State some service; they know’t. No more of that“

3 Likes

Haughey really was a Machavellian fucker.

2 Likes

And Othello the snakey cunt

Gonna dissent a little on Demon Cooperhead here. First half was terrific. Second half dragged. Being essentially a rewrite of David Copperfield took a lot of the jeopardy out of the story. It also got a bit preachy/polemical towards the end.

I only got halfway through, then I forgot to pack it when travelling

This would be worth a read if you were considering visiting Berlin.

How did you find it?

Dull enough early on but very interesting in the more modern era.

1 Like

That Hitler book you recommended is absolutely briliant.

I’ve Bob Mortimer new one The Hotel Avocado and Killing Thatcher up next.

1 Like

Cheers for that. Just booked flight earlier for Berlin half marathon next April.

2 Likes

Picked these up this afternoon

1 Like