Good Fillums

[quote=“therock67”]Jesus that’s a class enough list SS - so class I haven’t seen half of them.

Bought The Lives of Others and La Haine a few weeks ago but haven’t seen either of them yet.

Didn’t like Lost in Translation - thought it was ok but not brilliant.

Tigerland is very good. Saw that in the cinema and thought it was well worht a watch.

Read Papillon but I’ve never seen it.

Edukators is very good.

Glengarry Glenross should have been on my original list. Superb film.[/quote]

some good shouts there rock esp glengarry glen ross featuring alec baldwin’s finest five minutes and that’s including nailing kim basinger

vincent cassel is unbelievable in la haine, you feel like going out and petrol bombing a police station after

a few of my own faves

get carter : “you’re abig man but you’re out of shape,…”
point blank: a really pissed off lee marvin
paths of glory: an underrated kubrick
downfall: bruno getz unbelievable as hitler
someone has mentioned das boot which I think is the best war movie ever made
los debutantes: purely for the whipped cream dance
irreversible: very hard to watch because of the way it’s filmed and because of the story line

Good shouts there Arty, I love Paths of Glory too, for the time it was made the camera shots are unreal. There is something about Kubrick the way he used perspective and long distance shots. I think it’s the opening sequence where you get some really superb vintage Kubrick shots. You can always tell a Kubrick film from the way he uses long halls and corridors and shoots the camera straight down the hall at the action, symmetrical compositions, just beautiful.

I have high hopes for a film I’m going to see tomorrow in the IFI, called Elite Squad, about a Brazilian paramilitary police force that go around Rio looking for the shit. Supposed to be good stuff. Will report my verdict on here.

Well worth seeing this, on limited release at the moment but if you’re near the IFI well worth a look. Hardboiled cops kicking drug lord ass.

Saw a cracking comedy the other night called Super Troopers. It’s relatively recent but I hadn’t heard of it so had no expectations. Don’t want to build it up too much but it was fooking gas. Never heard of any of the cast but it was refreshing to see a comedy that wasn’t:

1. Something involving Wilson/Stiller/Ferrell/Vaugh etc.
  2. Of the American Pie/Superbad genre.

Watch it.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]Saw a cracking comedy the other night called Super Troopers. It’s relatively recent but I hadn’t heard of it so had no expectations. Don’t want to build it up too much but it was fooking gas. Never heard of any of the cast but it was refreshing to see a comedy that wasn’t:

Watch it.[/quote]

Yeah thats been around for a while. Made by the same people who did Beerfest, which is even better than Super Troopers. I highly recommend it.

[quote=“ClarkeyCat”]Saw a cracking comedy the other night called Super Troopers. It’s relatively recent but I hadn’t heard of it so had no expectations. Don’t want to build it up too much but it was fooking gas. Never heard of any of the cast but it was refreshing to see a comedy that wasn’t:

Watch it.[/quote]

Is that the one where the baddies are giant beetles who shot nuclear explosives from their arses, Powers Booth is an admiral with no limbs left, and Dougie Houser is like a special forces officer who gets to talk to a giant creepy crawlie?

if it is, great craic of a movie. Ha ha; the training camp is hilarious.

Anyway, a man movie ye’ll like.
“Lord of War”
Its a bit up its own arse to get ***** from me, but its still a very good, slick production; and because its brilliantly written I recommend it if ye haven’t seen it yet.

If anyone likes sports movies; Glory Road is great.

Watched Election again there recently and I must say it is an excellent effort. It is a kind of a teen American comedy in the style of American Pie (one of the guys out of that is in it actually) but it is about 100 levels above it in terms of quality. Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon star in it.

The same guy directed that, About Schmidt and Sideways which were two other excellent movies. His name is Alexander Payne I think…

anyone. ever see the manchurian candidate? some weird.
Few of my favourite
-Executive decision
-speed
-superbad
-breakdown

saw man on wire last week - its good enough

do you mean man on fire ncc…

There is another film with Denzel Washington where he holds people hostage so that surgeons will perform a transplant on his daughter. I think it is called John Q. Horrendous muck.

no man on wire- a documentary film about the guy that tightroped between the twin towers

yeah it isn’t one of his best…saw another one of his where he sneds himself back in time to solve a murder…it was a bit far fetched…deja vu is believe it was called…

The Princess Bride’s a classic. Blood Diamond is epic too. There’s way too many films mentioned her that I haven’t seen yet. May look some of them up.

Was hoping to see that, not that brilliant then no?

New Hunger film looks like it could be good.

Good shout, an enjoyable movie if a little preachy.

Disturbia is a movie well worth seeing.

[quote=“therock67”]Was hoping to see that, not that brilliant then no?

New Hunger film looks like it could be good.[/quote]

not brilliant but good-everyone who has seen it liked it

Saw In Bruges during the week. Fecking gas. Any film that pokes fun at those less fortunate than me is fine by me.

Agreed Clarkey, a fucking great show that In Bruges, some great dialogue and brilliant acting. Great chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson.

Harold & Kumar get the Munchies, a great laugh. Maybe it was the mood I was in, but this was very funny shit, and the cameo from Neil Patrick Harris was priceless.

Will be watching the sequel in the coming days.

Seen Stepbrothers and The Strangers in the last week.

Stepbrothers is class.

The Stangers is shite enough. Going by the trailers, I was expecting to piss myself. Good for a few scares here and there but nothing revolutionary in the horror genre. I just dont like Liv Tyler.