Google Earth

Another one of these incidents last night.

Julio recommended a book to me last night in the pub.
Logged onto Amazon this evening and there it was on the homepage the my ā€œItems for you to considerā€ section.

1 Like

Your phone is listening to your conversations

Out of curiosity what do you think has happened here

-Julio is a stealth marketer for Amazon?

• your phone is listening to every word you say and translating your voice into the Amazon algorithm?

• your phone and julios phone made contact through your pockets and you are being recommended his purchases from amazon?

• something odder than any of the above

Most likely this.

Google Now can be activated on the S7 by simply saying ā€œok googleā€, which means it is always listening. If itā€™s listening who knows what else itā€™s doing. It picked up a few keywords and sent them off to Google who in turn sold them to Amazon.

Iā€™d be a lot more concerned if it was sending snippets of conversation to my boss or my wife tbh

That is fucking mad shit if there is even a grain of truth in it

Well itā€™s 100% true that your phone can be remotely hacked and used to listen to your conversations (regular face to face ones). The CIA have been doing it for years.

It wouldnā€™t be that much of a stretch for other companies to start using this technology.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just researching all this now and apparently itā€™s widespread!

From a 2014 article:

Facebook is rolling out a new feature for its smartphone app that can turn on usersā€™ microphones and listen to whatā€™s happening around them to identify songs playing or television being watched.

Other people reporting that as an experiment they left their phone beside the TV with a spanish channel left on for a few hours. The next day all their google adverts were in Spanish.

1 Like

:astonished:

Ye cunts all laughed at me and said I was paranoid, look at it now, your phones recording your most private conversations and sending the info back to Google who in turn and selling it on to the highest bidder.

1 Like

Iā€™d take paranoia over ignorance any day of the week pal. Iā€™m with you on this one.

1 Like
1 Like

Google are sinister cunts. Microsoft are the path of light.

Iā€™m going back to the Nokia 3310

3 Likes

Thereā€™ll be pop up ads for them for sale near you any minute now

5 Likes

Clears throat

" I want a 21 year old brunette with massive tits to call to my house with a pepperoni pizzaā€¦"

Nothing yetā€¦

I think itā€™s broken.

14 Likes

@TreatyStones

Surely if your phone was listening to your conversations and sending to Google youā€™d notice it in your data allowance?

Give us an update on your trip to Limerick mate.

And most of us would be in prison.

1 Like