Graeme Souness

Involved in a bit of a bust up at his son’s football match. Interviewed below on Radio 5 Live about it. Think the interviewer is overly sensitive when he challenges her. Souness is on 2.33.30.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/graeme-souness-soccer-rivalries/

Good interview with Souey (cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy) on a recent edition of the Eamon Dunphy podcast. Talked quite openly about how he got things wrong in his stint managing Liverpool and said he should have walked after winning the cup/the whole incident with the photo in the Sun.

1 Like

Souey is a great analyst. The pretend ira lads don’t like it up them because he played for rangers

3 Likes

He talked in the interview about how the Catholic and Protestant kids in the working class part of Edinburgh he grew up in played together, and his best friend went to the Catholic school next door. His wife (who is a cousin of Dickie Rock) is catholic and he famously was the first Rangers manager to sign a Catholic, ex Bhoy Mo Johnston

What was the incident with the photo in The Sun?

He got the Celtic and Jock not signing a proddy story wrong though

He was photographed fucking a camel and the Sun published it.

He made a huge impression in Sampdoria.
Great great player.

3 Likes

Talked about how he played alongside some of the young lads who became the spine of the team that would get to the European cup final a number of years later. I’d say he Was a great influence on them. A winner.

2 Likes

Sampdoria would never have seen the likes of him, it’s safe to say that they would have remained in the doldrums forever were it not for the influence of a world class player around the training ground, like you said, a winner.

2 Likes

In the 1980’s England was the capital of world football

2 Likes

Stop being bold😉

Huh , I follow Genoa .

Think he gave an exclusive front page splash interview to The Sun about his heart problems many years ago. It didn’t sit well with Liverpool supporters who’ve boycotted the paper even since Hillsborough.

Fast forward to 10 mins - He says that he found Italian football a doddle…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1w9irpYVVI

I get the feeling that Phil Thompson is a ferocious prick

Agree.

And I would say Souness is, what we call at home, a thick individual.

Souness showed his underlying racism by comparing Moise Kean to Balotell at the weekend…because he is black and came to England from Serie A

1 Like

I’d say that spell Souness spent in Italy in the 80s conditioned him in racism

3 Likes