Graeme Souness

A man’s man :clap::clap::clap::clap:

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy logging on to the INTERNET and furiously googling “Graeme Souness” is real footix behaviour

no, i recall at the time how he was ridiculed for saying tactics dont matter so just googled it (in a relaxed manner) to confirm

3 Likes

Belated Happy Birthday to Souey. Turned 70 last Saturday.

Great interview on YouTube with Simon Jordan few days old

There’s a great clip on YouTube where simon Jordan eviscerates Souness over that comment

Souness, notorious as a hardman when he played football for Scotland, Liverpool and Rangers, will tackle the 21-mile challenge to raise money for children suffering from epidermolysis bullosa (EB), an excruciating, incurable condition also known as “butterfly skin”.

He uncharacteristically broke down as he discussed its effect on youngsters. “It’s the most horrendous disease,” he told the BBC. “If you’re inflicted by it you must wake up every morning and say, ‘Why me?’

“It’s a desperate situation. And then the parents have to deal with that. And that’s why we’re doing this. I am involved in this because of how evil this disease is. If people haven’t experienced it, or seen it, you have no idea how desperate this thing is.”

Edinburgh-born Souness, 70, who last month said he would step down as a pundit for Sky Sports, hopes to raise £1.1 million for Debra, the charity that supports people who live with the illness.

EB causes the skin to blister and tear at the slightest touch; sometimes it affects only the hands and feet but in the most severe cases any part of the body, including eyes and internal organs, can suffer blistering. It is estimated that more than 5,000 people in the UK are living with the condition, facing constant debilitating pain.

Souness was filmed chatting to Isla Grist, 14, from the Black Isle, near Inverness, who needed plastic surgery on her hands because of the disease.

Isla described the agony of even having her bandages changed, with Souness almost lost for words. “Isla is just the most courageous human being I’ve ever come across,” he said. “When I’m in her company, I’m very tearful. She just inspires me. She is just unbelievably courageous and brave.”

Souness, who lives in Poole, Dorset, will join Andy Grist, Isla’s father, for the swim between Dover and Calais.

This year the former Scotland captain fronted a British Heart Foundation campaign to encourage football fans to learn resuscitation and save lives. He has suffered from heart disease since his early thirties and had a triple bypass in 1992.

Souness said he had spent the past nine months training for the Channel crossing but admitted it had been tougher than expected. “Despite living by the sea for the past 16 years I had never been in it. That has all changed. I’ve been training three or four times a week for the past nine months building up my stamina.

Graeme Souness said learning about Isla Grist’s condition led him to become an atheist

Graeme Souness said learning about Isla Grist’s condition led him to become an atheist

“Fortunately I’ve had a brilliant ex-military guy training me and he’s had me in the water come rain, hail or shine, even in the winter. I think I am as ready as I’ll ever be.”

Souness learnt about EB at a charity dinner five years ago. He has become vice-president of Debra and helped to raise more than £500,000. This month he told the Up Front podcast that meeting people with the “evil” disease had stopped him believing in God.

He said: “It just robs these young people of any quality of life. It’s life-limiting for these poor children and it’s not just the sufferers but also the families that have to deal with it, which is traumatic to say the least.

“It has changed me as a human being. I am now an atheist because I cannot believe there is an almighty that would allow this to happen to one person.”

Graeme Souness and fellow swimmers: “I’ve had a brilliant ex-military guy training me and he’s had me in the water come rain, hail or shine”

Describing the effects of EB, he said: “Do you remember when you have burnt the end of your finger with a little bit of hot water and you think it’s the worst thing that could possibly happen? Imagine your whole body being covered in that.

“These kids have to take the strongest of drugs to get through their lives, like ketamine, diamorphine, and it’s just the most painful, cruellest, worst thing you could experience as a human being.”

A fundraising page for the swim has been set up on Debra’s website.

4 Likes

great stuff

Fair play

Great stuff from Graeme. A pal of mine fundraises for that charity. A really horrible disease - parents and kids who have it are heroes to be able to cope and go on.

1 Like

I was genuinely moved by that girl who was on the Late Late Show with Jonny Sexton a few months ago who has this condition. Claudia Scanlon is her name,

What a fucking cunt of a condition.

2 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

So he didn’t drown. Ah well.

One of the good guys.

1 Like

Even the hammerhead sharks thought it best to steer clear. They’ve heard about him obviously.

A well deserved CBE for Souey in His Majesty’s Birthdays Honours list.