Great Gigs & Live Bands

The Pogues-Apollo '88
The Waterboys-as above
Fatima Mansions-can’t remember where,somewhere off Peter Street 93(ish)
Flogging Molly-Academy,last month
Dropkick Murphys-Academy,couple of months ago,fookin best ever.

Sound in there can be very iffy in there.

1. kraftwerk - Olympia 2006(i think) . i was stone cold sober and was mesmerised beyond belief by their show. once in a lifetime expereince

2 .McCoy Tyner - Vicar St 2000 . pianist from john coltrane quartet .fookin genius and the people there were lucky to see him in the flesh.

3.Nirvana - Top Hat 1991 - played as support to sonic youth. a lot of people there thought they were a shambles, i thought they were the american MBV. great gig altogether.

4.Supergrass - Olympia(1996/97) .really heavy sound and the best live rock band I think i’ve ever seen

[quote=“josepi73”]1. kraftwerk - Olympia 2006(i think) . i was stone cold sober and was mesmerised beyond belief by their show. once in a lifetime expereince

2 .McCoy Tyner - Vicar St 2000 . pianist from john coltrane quartet .fookin genius and the people there were lucky to see him in the flesh.

[/quote]

Fooking hell Josepi they are two impressive shouts. Kraftwerk I would indeed say was a once in a lifetime experience.

The one concert I would have loved to have been at would have been Keith Jarrett’s Koln Conert in 1972 where he played piano ad hoc with no rehearsed or written music for around 2 hours. I have the CD of the concert at home (should have mentioned it in Great Album thread) and parts of it are absolutely bloody mesmerising…

In fact I would have that well up there in my all time great ‘albums’ list…

[quote=“manusboyle”]The Pogues-Apollo '88
The Waterboys-as above
Fatima Mansions-can’t remember where,somewhere off Peter Street 93(ish)
Flogging Molly-Academy,last month
Dropkick Murphys-Academy,couple of months ago,fookin best ever.[/quote]

Are you sure about that Fatima Mansions gig; I can remember it. Don’t think I’ve missed any Cathal Coughlan event in Ireland between 88 and 96.

Would love to see the Dropkick Murphys, shite now for missing them.

Note: Pogues in Henry’s back in the day when ye were still writing to Santy was the full and original line up btw. and the Waterboys in the City Hall that night were supported by the Saw Doctors in fairness they were savage too. Someone told me that that gig was the only time they have ever sung Whole of the Moon live.

Been to loads of gigs since but somehow more recent events aren’t as wild and unexpected as before. Must be video and album promotion type influence and less entertainment for fans.

BTW also saw Horslips, Thin Lizzy, U2 pre Joshua tree and … Shakey Steven’s (and I’d still do him)

The Fatima Mansions gig was in Manchester Mary.

I think the venue was The Boardwalk,it was a sunday night and a last minute decision to go after being on the pop all day hence the hazy details.

pheeew

[quote=“manusboyle”]The Fatima Mansions gig was in Manchester Mary.

I think the venue was The Boardwalk,it was a sunday night and a last minute decision to go after being on the pop all day hence the hazy details.[/quote]

Thought it was binge casulty.

The Boardwalk - Absolutley legendary venue

I’ve seen The Waterboys a couple of times,The Sawdoctors supported them first time,the second time was a band called The Fleadh Cowboys who were mental,never heard anything about them since but they were brilliant.

The Fleahs! Are you insane, Frankie Lane was/ is one of the best male vocalists EVER.

Stopped gigging as a group years ago, think Frankie does at Frankie Lane and Friends routine now and again around Galway and Nashville…

I wouldn’t have minded seeing the Waterboys in their day. That’s one for the regrets list.

I’ve never had a problem there but only been there a handful of times.

Good thread.
The Clash in SFX '83. London Calling for intro, Joe with a mohawk…great
The Pogues in Kennedy’s Puckane circa '84. elvis was with Cait at the time and sang 1 beforehand.
Thin Lizzy supported by U2 in the 1st Slane '81.
The Redskins in McGonigles '85ish. Brilliant

My best would be…

1. Springsteen - The Sunday gig in the RDS a few weeks back. My first time seeing him. Not sure it will be ever beaten.
  2. Arcade Fire - Electric Picnic 2005. In a tent that was way too overcrowded and sweat dripping off the tent roof from the heat! What a gig -I beleive Arcade Fire still refer to it as one as the best gigs they ever did.
  3. Kings of Leon - Aberdeen 2007. those boys can rock for their age. Look forward to seeing what they can do in years to come.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Fooking hell Josepi they are two impressive shouts. Kraftwerk I would indeed say was a once in a lifetime experience.

www.adayinthelifefestival.com

now’s your chance to see them!

sept. 13th ,Luggala,wicklow.
kraftwerk & friends.
tickets on sale today

Sigur Ros & Elbow @ electric picnic 08.

Sigur Ros was out of this world. It was like watching something from an opera at times with each song building and building for an explosive end. I seen them at oxegen a few years back and it was like a totally different band, they have clearly been on the raod a bit and had everything synced to a tee.
A masterful performance.

Elbow was like a proper gig. The crowd were well up for it and the band were interacting throuh out and it helped they were in a tent as opposed the main stage. They have been around a long time, can work the crowd, but
again, like sigur ros, their performance was top notch and it was like listening to them on CD. There was a couple of really nice moments with the crowd too. He came down to one girl who had come from New Zealand to see them and dedicated a song to her and when a tri colour was thrown on stage, he wrapped it around him, and made sure the person who threw it got his hat!! Super stuff.

If you get a chance to see either a great nights entertainment awaits.

Never seen them live… they went completly off my radar in the past few years. Bought Antics again on itunes last week after losing the CD a few years ago and cant stop listening to it. Excellent stuff.

Dont think they got near enough recognition for that Album.

Totally agree, a super album. Their best for me

Rush tonight. Should be a savage gig.

Small town music.