Greedy rugby bastards take heed

Football leading the way again… glorious gesture from Trap and co :clap:

Trapattoni takes one for team

Soccer: FORGET PORTUGAL and Spain, the repercussions of the Irish financial crisis are now being felt in Italy, with members of the Irish football management team agreeing to take a pay cut of “in excess of 5 per cent” to help their employer in its hour of need.

Giovanni Trapattoni said yesterday he had agreed to take the cut, believed to be in the region of €100,000 per annum, after speaking with FAI general secretary John Delaney in Milan last month.

“We spoke with John maybe two weeks ago,” he said, while attending the official launch of the 2011 Europa League final which is to be played at the Aviva stadium on May 18th. “John spoke with me and said: ‘The FAI has a problem, what do you think about agreeing to reduce your agreement because of this situation?’

“I said that we could discuss this and accept it, also Marco (Tardelli) and the staff. I think this is right.”

When the reduction is applied to the pay of Tardelli and Fausto Rossi as well as Irish members of the coaching and scouting staff like Mick Martin and Don Givens, the saving should amount to something in the region of €160,000. It is estimated a third of that saving would accrue to businessman Denis O’Brien, who currently pays half of the management team’s major salaries.

The FAI has never disclosed Trapattoni’s salary but he is understood to be paid €1.8 million a year under a contract to the end of the European Championship qualifying campaign.

“This isn’t something that was forced by either party,” said Delaney, who confirmed he has also taken a “significant” pay cut.

“It was discussed and it was very simply agreed, I think maybe, in 30 seconds, to be honest with you . . . When someone has a contract they can keep you to it if they want to but he wanted to come here today and show his solidarity with the rest of the staff.”

Delaney said he hoped there would be no further cuts or redundancies required by the association, which is believed to be more than €50 million in debt but, he added, there were no guarantees.

Also speaking at the launch, Minister for Sport Mary Hanafin welcomed Trapattoni’s gesture and suggested that others in sport should consider following suit.“There are people in this country who are earning over half a million – €1.8 million in Giovanni Trapattoni’s case – and there’s absolutely no justification for those high levels at all.”

FFS. must have broke his heart. You’d think the cunt could go to watch his players playing for their clubs every now and then for that kind of fuckin money. Or at the very least learn English. We’re some forelock tuggers to this fella.

i’m sure all the people the FAI made redundant last week will feel a whole lot better about it now.

WHAT ABOUT POOR PAKIE???
SENT PACKING CAUSE HE HAD HIS EYES ON DELANEYS JOB.

GAA likely to drop ticket prices
GAA president Christy Cooney has indicated that the GAA will drop ticket prices for the forthcoming season.Cooney, who had previously said there would be no cut in prices, was speaking in Kuala Lumpar from the All-Star football tour.

He said: 'It is something we are giving serious consideration to.

'We are reviewing our whole ticketing system for next year and I would hope that, if not next week, than very soon after it we will announce some decisions on our ticketing pricing for next season.

'We haven’t increased ticket prices for five years. Indeed, outside of the top-line prices, we’ve reduced costs all over the place through family tickets and other schemes.

'Like everything else, we have to produce a budget for next year and we have to balance the books.

'If the association reduces the prices in regard to tickets, and that includes the provincial councils, something else will have to suffer, with the amount of money we have available for the clubs and the county boards.

‘So we have to be aware of that as well. There are swings and roundabouts but we are very conscious of our position as regards to our patrons, we want to give them the best value we can.’

The bitterness exuding from the rogbee followers on here is sickening

John Delaney is doing a magnificent job despite the unfortunate decision forced upon the FAI to let some employees go last week. :clap:

But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…patrons.

We need to think about our patrons.

Will you ever fuck off and call them something normal like supporters?

That’s the only issue I have with Christy Cooney’s outstanding Presidency.

Hanafin the fucking toilet brush, going on about how there’s no justification for half a million a year salaries. How many of your semi state CEOs are on half a million a year and the rest you fucking scumbag?

That’s magnificent insulting that is :smiley:

His record is fantastic gola and he has made a big difference to us like it or not. He is entitled to his salary and he could be earning more elsewhere I’d imagine. Take all the cheap shots you want but I don’t see many other managers taking a pay cut.
One of the best thing Trap has done since he has taken over is that he has picked players on how they perform for Ireland. Some media elements and posters seem to place more emphasis on how a player played against Sunderland than against Slovakia. The criticism he receives for not attending more club games is a little pathetic imo and rather agenda driven. Sure he could give more young guys a go but equally there is a great spirit in the squad and every player is familiar with the role they have. This can’t be achieved by basing your team selection around the EPL,SPL or whatever.

Surely current performances on a week in/week out basis should hold a higher stock than a good performance 2 months previously?

Absolutely not imo. How you perform within the system and other factors for the national team should go way ahead of how you do at club level. There has to be stability within the team otherwise it becomes totally disjointed. Granted some consideration should be given to club football but wouldn’t come near to how the player does for the team. For too long O’Shea for instance had a long long string of nightmare showings for us while he did decently at Manchester United. If he had been dropped for his showings for us I think we would most certainly have gained more points in 06 and 08 qualifying campaigns. His performances have improved considerably over last two years in fairness.

But your argument is based around the fact that the players he is picking are playing brilliantly and pulling out great peformances and results against the odds. Apart from the French game away I can’t think of any other Ireland performance that we’ve been really happy with. Italy were down to ten men away, and the home game was a dead rubber. Almost everything else has been underwhelming at best. Sure Kerr’s team gave a great showing against France away.
If Trap doesn’t qualify for the next Euros what has he actually done apart from improve things from Stan’s reign which you or I could probably do in fairness.
Really hope I’m wrong but can see this campaign ending in underwhelming disappointment too.

I don’t think we have a great squad of players but I think we have some players who play very well for us. Liam Lawrence and St Ledger would be classic examples. There has been a vast improvement since he took over and saying otherwise is just nonsense. We were a shambles in 2008 and were far worse at end of Kerr’s era also (despite arguably having better players and players who were in their peak). What fantastic players isn’t he picking in your view? I take it from EPL fans that Coleman is an excellent player but we have a huge amount of wingers so I’d like to see him given a go at fullback. Think Foley could well break into the side soon too
Also don’t agree that everything bar France and Italy away were underwhelming. I’ll cite some examples from only competitive matches
2-1 victoy in Mainz against Georgia. Played well throughout and got an excellent victory
0-0 away to Montenegro. Passed the ball well and defended excellently. We were a little unfortunate not to win.
1-1 draw away to Bulgaria. Started the game superbly and take the game to them. Gave away a sloppy goal but that performance virtually ruled Bulgaria out of 2010 campaign
1-0 victory away in Armenia. Got the goal we deserved and really gutsy display. they are quite a decent side as has been shown by previous results.
1-1 draw away against Slovakia. Should have really won this match but with depleted squad wasn’t a bad result at all.

Jesus larry, just reading that list of ‘good’ results would be enough to depress a fella. Players obviously aren’t good enough but just don’t think Trap is going to work out as the saviour either. We could have got similar results under any decent manager (ie not Stan). We’re unfortunate we got Trap when he was past his sell by date.

2-1 victoy in Mainz against Georgia. Played well throughout and got an excellent victory
Beating the Georgians on a neutral ground is hardly an excellent victory.

0-0 away to Montenegro. Passed the ball well and defended excellently. We were a little unfortunate not to win.
They’ve a population of 670,000. Dublin has more of a pick.

1-1 draw away to Bulgaria. Started the game superbly and take the game to them. Gave away a sloppy goal but that performance virtually ruled Bulgaria out of 2010 campaign
Bulgaria were a shambles at the time.

1-0 victory away in Armenia. Got the goal we deserved and really gutsy display. they are quite a decent side as has been shown by previous results.
You’ve got to be beating the likes of these lads if your going anywhere.

1-1 draw away against Slovakia. Should have really won this match but with depleted squad wasn’t a bad result at all.
They did alright in this match in fairness.

Where are all these teams ranked in the world?
They are at best average teams that any decent side should be beating comfortably.

Why so?You said results and performances were by and large not good.I certainly disagree.Which of the performances and results I mentioned would you disagree with?How many performances would you say were below par since he took over?
Of course he won’t be a saviour but I don’t think anyone suggested he was.He is certainly doing a better job than you are giving him credit for though.Perhaps if he picked more on EPL form it may appease some but I don’t think he should.

The only two results against similar ranked teams are the Bulgaria and Slovakia ones which we could and should have won. We started well in both games but retreated into our shell and ended up drawing. I don’t remember being happy after any of those games. They were expected results and certainly no better. Kerr had at least as many good results and performances.
Give over on the ‘EPL’ too by the way. Nobody’s really mentioning it except you. That’s a completely different argument and if you’re willing to disregard one of the top leagues, if not the top league, in the world, it’s your own lookout.

But we are an average side are we not?Look at our players for ffs.
Wasn’t just the result against Georgia I thought our performance was excellent.
Basing a teams ability purely on population is rather simplistic. China are shite Montenegro ain’t. They are top of their 2012 qualifying group actually.
Armenia beat Slovkia at home so would call our result a good one for sure.
While you may say they are games we should be winning if you look at our away record for last twelve years or more it is terrible and that was with far better players than we have now.

No it is not. You mentioned he should go and see more games. I said I don’t think it is terribly important so you brought it up not me.
Kerr had far better players imo and his results were quite similar if not a little worse.
I don’t think Trap has done everything right but I certainly think he is doing better than you give him credit for.