Green Shoots - How Michael Noonan ended the recession

There was alot of unnecessary punters working in your place runt, i worked somewhere similar and there was no need for half of them either.

Personally i think things are getting better, liquidations are down for April from last year dramatically which shows some bit of leveling off. April is always a bad month for liquidations i believe.

People are shopping and going out a bit more it seems as well, allthough i still hear a number of pubs in Cork City are struggling badly.

Its the pubs own fault though. They needed a good kick in the bollox.

???

Ya i agree, they could be doing more in some cases. But people are meeting up at home for a few drinks and going straight to nightclubs these days alot. I’d encourage this to be honest, cheaper, talk to only people you really want to talk to, listen to your own music and if you want belt away into the club for a boogie or whatever.

I like a pub for a couple of sunday drinks with the lads, or a pint after a game or whatever. Spending half of my saturday night in there is very unappealing to me. Of course that could be an age thing as well.

We operated an office in Tournafulla but had to close it when the Murphy twins emigrated, thus halving the population of the town.

A ‘boogie’ - great word Kev. :clap: :lol:

The latest AIB/INM/FF/RTE/BSE mindless optimism index for April says that consumer sentiment amongst first time buyers has increased in positivity by 2.27% based on the previous month’s statistics. It’s scientific proof that things are getting better, the green shoots are appearing, and Ireland’s smart economy is in a strong position going forward. The best really is yet to come.

People are buying into the idea that a brighter future lies ahead for all of us, based on the solid reasoning that eh…eh…eh…ah forget it.

Funny how for a so called smart, hi-tech economy we have a 3rd world broadband infrastructure.

Fintan O’Toole’s “Ship of Fools” has a chapter about this. It’s a must-read book.

What i’ve read and seen of this fella he seems like a tuned in punter. Its hard to watch some of the current affairs programmes because some of the politicians are so removed from reality it makes your blood boil, but when he’s on i’d usually tune in.

Look whatever about beliefs about economy rising etc, anyone dealing with the banks now is a fool. My brother intends buying a house soon, i’m trying to talk him out of it. He’s only a 80K away from owning the whole thing cash, why can’t he keep saving the way he has for 4-5 years. The woman trying to sell the house has even cut out the auctioneer, i hope more people start doing this, auctioneers for the most part are thieving bastards who add very little value to a sale. I htink there will be more people cutting out the unnecessaries in the future.

The banks are just useless cunts, full stop. I spent 45 minutes in a que today on AIB South Mall 'cos they only had one teller in the business bank, it was farcical. But what made it worse was some fellas were being taken out of the line, brought around the back and having their issues dealt with privately. Thats taking the piss. The people were there, but basically would only serve obviously their bigger clients.

On top of that 3 times i’ve looked for a full statement since start of business, was told it will cost 12 euro, fair enough, just send it out. 2 weeks ago i first asked, still no sign of it. I feel sorry for alot of staff, because where i am, their hands seem to be tied on a lot of things, but an awful lot of them are also completely incompetent.

This kinda of old hat approach to everything is holding the country back.

Don’t get me started on the broadband. :rolleyes:

Thieving bullshit merchants is all they are Kev and now they want in to the Society of Chartered Surveyors

I say get fucked Auctioneers

Not that funny really. The O’Reillys bear a lot of responsibility for that the cunts.

For a country the size of Ireland it is beyond belief how there isnt one. Fixed broadband here is well expensive but I hate this mobile broadband shite. Good bit of opposition to the NBN (national broadband network) contract here. Think the opposition will shelve it if KRudd gets the boot.

Privatising Eircom was a disaster both for the company and the country. To be fair to the Brits they have a good system in the UK for telecomms. It is well regulated by Ofcom and provides a competitive marketplace. BT manage the infrastructure on behalf of the Govt but are forced to provide equal service to all the competitors who compete for the end users.

Any one else think that Caravan Holidays will see a bumper year this year?

:lol:

EBS to be bought out by an American Investment Group.

One less bank to worry about anyway

Betfair bringing another 100 jobs to Dublin. Apparently there’ll be more to come as well if they don’t sort out their UK levy issue.

IT sector is booming. Even in Galway there are between 50 and 100 open positions.

Having the skilll set to fill them is another story however.

Irish med-tech sector grew by 10% last year.

Talks of a massive jobs boost in North Kerry aswell. In the pharma sector I beleive.

You mis-heard. It was the farming sector. A big farmer near Listowel will be taking on 3 extra lads to help with the silage next Summer.