Gubu, gubu

Malcolm Macarthur has been released after serving 30 years. 1982 was a fascinating, if completely fucked up, time in Irish politics. I could never understand why he wasn’t charged with Donal Dunne’s murder - was there ever a reason given?

Wonder what he’ll do now, probably write a book, I understand he’s very eloquent. Though not a great house guest.

He’d do your head in.

Some sort of plea bargain got him out of the Donal Dunnes murder in Edenderry.

[quote=“Fitzy, post: 714326”]Malcolm Macarthur has been released after serving 30 years. 1982 was a fascinating, if completely fucked up, time in Irish politics. I could never understand why he wasn’t charged with Donal Dunne’s murder - was there ever a reason given?

Wonder what he’ll do now, probably write a book, I understand he’s very eloquent. Though not a great house guest.[/quote]

He was charged but it was withdrawn at trial. Technically the dpp coukd still try him for it. Cunt, along with all people convicted of murder, should never be released

:rolleyes:

apart from murdering yer wan in the park, was there anything else he was supposed to have done wrong given his notoriety?

30 years seems awful harsh given Mac’s mate Wayne O’Donoghue got out after 2 years for killing a young fella down our way a few years back and having us all out searching like idiots for a few days with him…

What was Charlie Haughey’s actual link to this fella when the scandal broke? Was this guy a friend of the attorney general of the time? Remember reading a book on Haughey and this popped up as being a tricky one to get out of politically for him.

McArthur was arrested in the home of the Attorney General who then resigned. Haughey had no real link to McArthur apart from that as far as I am aware - in that he had appointed the AG. Haughey then coined the GUBU phrase (grotesque, unprecedented, bizarre, and something else) to describe the situation.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 714333”]

McArthur was arrested in the home of the Attorney General who then resigned. Haughey had no real link to McArthur apart from that as far as I am aware - in that he had appointed the AG. Haughey then coined the GUBU phrase (grotesque, unprecedented, bizarre, and something else) to describe the situation.[/quote]

Haughey just used those words, but not together. It was Conor Cruise O’Brien who put them together as GUBU.

Unbelievable was the other one.

What wrong pikeman?

Malcolm MacArthur is going to be a guest on the Late Late Show this Friday. Should be interesting.

Youve gotta be kidding fagan

He is anxious to tell his side of the story apparently and he feels he has been very badly misrepresented by press and TV depictions of him over the years.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 714339”]

He is anxious to tell his side of the story apparently and he feels he has been very badly misrepresented by press and TV depictions of him over the years.[/quote]

He killed 2 people in cold blood what more do people need to know

I don’t know. That’s why it sounds interesting I think.

as opposed to killing them in warm blood?

:rolleyes:

Go back to bed sunshine.It must have been a long day.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 714331”]

apart from murdering yer wan in the park, was there anything else he was supposed to have done wrong given his notoriety?

[/quote]he went down to Offaly to buy a shotgun from a farmer who had an ad in the paper, instead of buying it, he robbed the gun and blew him away

Don’t think Haughey even used them consecutively. Think he used them throughout a few sentences. Wonderful acronym though all the same.