Halcyon days

My only time in the place we drank a bottle of vodka and tequila between 4 of us before we went over. My buddy reckoned it was too cold to walk down there, was a hard frost the same night. So he drove down, the approx 200m from briarfields I think it was calledā€¦A wreckless spot

Nantucket was a very popular spot for J1s at that time, Cape Cod, Cape May and Ocean city were all the rage in the 90s at any rate,
We arrived into Nantucket on 17 June 1995 @gilgamboa and that was too late to get any accommodation (the innocence of it all), slept two nights in the beach in the freezing cold before packing it in and heading to NYC where we had the promise of work and a place to stay, ended up working for a made man in construction, he had a thing about filling dumpsters, you couldnā€™t leave an inch of free space, Jesus if he arrived on site heā€™d lose the rag if the dumpster was poorly filled, good times, I couldnā€™t do it now, choking on dust and puking from the night before etc etc

But very few J1s back then went to the big cities or California,

2 Likes

Yeah the accomodation was the big blocker alright for Nantucket. I canā€™t for life of me now think of how I arranged it because we def had it organized before we went and we didnā€™t know any of the others in the house. It cost is a fortune but was clearing 1500 dollars a week, 20 years ago, which was ridiculous money really

2 Likes

Tamangos where the gang goes!

Cork fella thinking heā€™s better than othersā€¦ now thereā€™s a surprise.

1 Like

Where did you see that?

Good thread. Not a J1 but i went labouring in Jersey in '03 with another lad. We shared a tent for 8 weeks before we upgraded to a bedsit. It pissed rain for those 8 weeks, but we caught up last year and reminisced how those struggles made us.

My mother gave me 200 euro before i went. Still remains the proudest moment of my life giving her 300 back when i returned.

As a sidenote, four lads came out to see us for a week. One got arrested for shitting in a paint can, 2 others for fighting and the fourth was hospitalised. Halycon days

1 Like

Pure Monaghan

6 Likes

Pure mule

Lived in a caravan on a building site in Harrow on the Hill for three months. Shared it with 8 others. Foreman was an absolute dunce. Ringer for Roy Orbison. Shambles of a building. Windows went in upside down in some cases and inside out in others. Pal got held with a knife to his throat by a chef in a Greek restaurant because I had walked out without paying for a dessert.

3 Likes