Harty cup and other secondary school GAA 2022-23

Agent Kiely

Thinking-about-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

They are going to the vocational school in the town. Kids in the hinterland that traditionally went there are going to Doon, Hospital and Cashel.

30% of the student population would have been Limericks. The fact Kiely couldn’t even attract those tells a tale.

2 Likes

Ard Scoil becoming a feeder school for Clare hurling at the moment.

I suppose he was a bit pre-occupied doing the back to back to back to back

We help them out in all aspects of life. Work, education, hospitals, assisting in keeping hurling alive in the county, we let them use our airport. But they still continue to bite the hand that feeds them. it’s fierce disappointing.

5 Likes

In fairness all the areas that traditionally fed into the Abbey like Lattin/Aherlow/Galtee Rovers/Solohead/Eire Og and even Arravale themselves would be well down on numbers from 20 years ago.

The issue then though seems to be the rise in St Ailbe’s. Its kind of a viscous circle in that ‘word’ gets out that Kiely is a bad Principal so one set of Parents send their children to the Tech. Then the next thing is every Parent wants their child in the Tech. Something similar happened in the mid-1990’s. I suppose its a bit like a Soccer Manager who loses the dressing room - you lose a couple of players first, then its a tsunami and there’s no way back - you have to go.

Even still, the Abbey won as much in GAA under Kiely as Principal (Munster Football ‘B’ titles in 2015, 2022 and 2023, Munster and AI ‘B’ Hurling in 2016) as they did in the decade previously and the Young Scientist thing was a big enough deal. And a big Sports Hall was built with an Astro Turf in progress. So he has a fair list of achievements.

Cant be good for Limerick hurling going forward surely that there top hurling school is made of mainly Clare players.

Are St Aible’s any good in the hurling?

No - have barely ever fielded teams.

I see Thurles have an U-15 starting for their Harty team - how young is eligible exactly?

He’s 15 this year so 16 in 2024. He’s in TY afaik.

Thurles Sarsfields have had so many promising young players but they rate him as the best talent they’ve ever had.

Was the best player on the pitch v Coleman’s apparently.

2 Likes

Who is he?

Some Murray lad from Thurles Sarsfields.

Euan Murray

1 Like

What a win for my beloved Abbey CBS in the Corn Ui Mhuiri today walking all over a Kerry School no less.

4 Likes

Castleisland won the C All Ireland last year so would hardly be a superpower but a good win nonetheless.

CBC narrowly defeated Doon in the refixed Harty game.

1 Like

The Examiner had a great preview of it today. Sure tis like a Kerry under 20 trial. Most be over 100 Kerry young lads playing in it.

1 Like

Impossible to keep up with the Kerry lads.

Ailbe’s are savage at the formula one though…

1 Like

They’ve a great fella over it. Top fella

1 Like