Has anyone played soccer in scumhole council estates?

The under age teams are fecked with the likes of
boys shells ect. They have to enter under age teams in the ddsl leagues ect.
The pressure parents and kids are u der now is ten fold.
A cousin of mine her little fella is getting watched two years and he is under tens.
The scouts openly flout about and let the parents know why they are their and who they are watching ect.

Rubby is probably the main one.

I could play with a professional in a pro am. You get signed up for them.

Doesn’t help your argument that the three you outlined are all elite sportsmen.

Case could be made for Shane Lowry winning the Irish open as an amateur, but he was obviously talented and driven, and had spent time growing up on the same Irish teams as Rory McIlroy.

Very few good amateurs can do all that consistently and under the pressure of making money to maybe miss a cut or pay for their next tournament

A bit of height would have helped.

Pros and cons

Playing “near scratch” is nowhere near professional golf level.

2 Likes

A bit modest there pal … You played LOI no? That’s a good standard…

1 Like

LOI division 1 back then was not better than the premier league in limerick or the munster senior league in cork.

Horse racing…jockeys

1 Like

The horse does the work sure

Id say he is talking about top end amateurs who are not pro by choice. Or will be shortly

Sure no different to most sports so.
You’ll have to the top pros who are exceptional and the pros at the lower end who’ve just been a bit luckier or more dedicated than the top amateurs who are clamouring to get pro

1 Like

A decent pro would be playing off +10 if he was playing around local tracks off club players tees every week

1 Like

I realise that. Across the broad professional sporting spectrum I am trying to identify a sport where an amateur would not get disgraced and look like a total misfit. It is probably more achievable in a team sport than individual.

Ah yeah, lads playing off plus four or five are a different gravy. And even a lot of those get chewed up and spat out on the lesser pro tours. Its different when you have to get up and down to make a cut or win money to feed your family

1 Like

As big a gap between 18 and scratch as there is between scratch and a tour pro or so the saying goes

1 Like

Or are able to cope under pressure.

You could throw a big lad playing second row for some AIL team into Munster and he wouldn’t disgrace himself I’d say

Yeah true. It would mean that the pro golfer would probably be superior by 1 shot on every hole to your 8 or 9 handicapper.

1 Like

Cousin of mine played walker cup in the 80s did the whole US scolarship route etc. Unbelievable prospect. Couldnt do it when it was needed week in week out. It is a different game

1 Like