Has anyone played soccer in scumhole council estates?

Check yer fuckin messages on the sleeper app

1 Like

That’s called “massive physicality” mate.
Fall the fuck in.

Running into lads, pushing lads, lifting lads and for the really skillful kicking the ball out of play or up in the sky.

“Fronting up”

Trying to discredit a sport is about as pathetic as you can get . People spend years developing skills and fitness to compete at a high level , and you’ve alcoholic and dole heads saying this is a sport that’s a shit sport , jesus . I would have hoped the virus would have rid these cunts from society . Its ridiculous.

When you’ve 40000 munster supporters travelling abroad to a game it must drive the gaa lads demented, they cant even get those numbers at an all ireland semi final !

What was dublin vs Tyrone, 35k , youd have more on a sunday in ballybunnion

They can’t even fill Thomond these days sure. The brave and the fickle

Metro92 was a sell out excuse me

I’d say they managed about three sellouts all year. Used to be sold out all the time.
Season ticket sales are through the floor as well.
The crowd, who used to travel to France by planes, trains and automobiles to watch them, can’t come up the road now because there’s no motorway.
Hopefully they can come good again and get the fans behind them. Be great for Limerick city to get some of the big games back

Lots of sales are down everywhere in all sport . Football , gaa too . I remember the day you’d have to beg for a ticket for a munster final , now youd pick one up on the day .

how are the funds now Julio? I expect all the players getting paid but no gate receipts??

I’d say the IRFU are footing the bill.

it depends what you mean by reasonable level
when i was getting the shit kicked out of me in Flanclare Park ill be honest the overall strandard wasnt much better than a game v Avondale but the physicality and speed of the game was a lot higher, plus you are playing with against lads who were at a high level so if playing full back for example you have fellas getting into positions that you wouldnt see at an intermediate level and their routines would be more reheresed so fellas wouldnt call for the ball that much as their teammates know where they ( should ) be
now - to get a pro contract accross the water you’d have to be expecptional, John O FLynn who was year behind me was an exceptional player and the best ive been with on a field and he was with barnet and lincoln,
the best i ever saw was stephen ireland - he was truly outstanding , an absolute freak with the ball, he played till about 13 o 14s before going to city and the control touch balance - it was unbelievable -
in my lifetime i would say keane aside or irwin ( cunt ) that breakthru season in 07 08 is the best i have seen from an irish player ( whelan and moran spring to mind but were at the end of their careers when i was only 8, brady and stapleton also) - an incredible talent

you would need to be very very good to play LOI prem div now - its a decent standard but saying that bar a few exceptions most fellas who excel here of late and go over x channel to the likes of st johnstone preston hibs whatever have faded away, - look at all that dundalk side- macmillan boyle - didnt happen for them- horgan is a decent enough time in fairness- few cork lads bar maguire as well - they’re at places like rochdale, back early days all the cork lads georgie, gamble, they couldnt make it-
then u have that ireland 18s team that eir are showing- robbie keane did what he did but jason gavin played for droghda only - same with dean delaney – these lads were the best in europe at 18- thats unreal - but very few made it - if making it is playing EPL
they went over and tried to make it but are not good enough- i think is clear if jack byrnes head was right he would be playing at a higher level but for other reasons he has chosen to want to be at home and came back

3 Likes

Richard Dunne was on that u18 team
McPhail played with Leeds in very good Leeds team
Gary Odoherty had a good premier league career

Keane had an exceptional career. A good shot of that youth team got senior caps.

That’s a fairly good return for a youth team if you ask me.

I’d consider a top junior side in Limerick or MSL premier division a reasonable level you can achieve with average, above average ability. To kick on from that you have to be very, very good and dedicated

I trained with Mochtas in the LSL while on placement in Dublin and the standard was very high.

I think homesickness and not being of the system stymies Irish lads more than talent. Half or more end up lonely in some poxy digs and are isolated and neglected.
I often thought we’d offer to put a lad up here so at least they’d have a bit of company and a home, but you wouldn’t know who to talk to.

So you’re an alcoholic and a dole head too?

1 Like

yeah i was firing lads off the top of my head - of course they had decent careers
i would say with above average ability you can play LSL/MSL/ eircom div 1 here- it can be decent in places …maybe - the lower echelons of ericom div1 certainly would a “mix” - to kick on from that is to play prem div or go accross the water and yeah - you need to be an exceptional player then- but if you are playing MSL/LSL or for linerick city of cobh by the time you are 20 than that is probably that for you- and that is where lads just drop away
this is the total breakdown here in fooball - there is no system of promotion here to senior club level -no intermediate club in their right mind would look to progress upwards - you have these first div clubs that represent nobody, have no fans, no attchement to the community and nobody really wants to play for them unless they are getting paid to do so

2 Likes

Maybe the current generation 18 to 22 who have gone to the UK might be of a better technical standard due to regional development squads but if you look at the players who went from LOI to England in their late teens in the last ten to fifteen years like the Hunts, Long, Doyle, McClean, Doyle, Ward, Stevens etc who all made decent careers for themselves it was as much to do with their physicality, athleticism or work rate. none of those lads would be what you would say are quality technical footballers even the likes of Brady and Hedricks who went a few years are more rounded players technically. Coaching certainly makes a difference

Houlihan and to a lesser extent Fahey are about the two who looked comfortable from a technical perspective and Fahey was over for a year or two as a teen while it Wes was playing league one into his late 20s.

Would be interesting to see what Coleman, Doyle etc would have turned out like in the current pathway or if they went to England 3 or 4 years earlier.

Hooch has wound up a few lads here the grandest