Has anyone played soccer in scumhole council estates?

Ha I think lads With limerick a few years back got jobs with elverys sports for playing with them

ah the athmosphere on the pitch is awful as well
i remember there in 2012
an fai cup replay on a monday night - harps came down and beat cobh 4-0 , i remember kevin mchugh scored a few , one a spotter at the beginning
i was down on the pitch at the end and every player on the loosing side called the ref a cunt on the way off,the abuse from the few behind the goal as well was disgusting
ah fellas watch the epl or whatnot on TV and think soccer is great, theyve never been to a game, if they have they are only tourists , if you wanted to see real football in england youd have to go to stoke or to ayr in scotland or somewhere- nobody would want anything to do with it- i dont think i miss it tbh- i watch the fake stuff from time allright still tho
i think thats why i liked the league in israel as the athmosphere was so raw, like you have no business bringing children near it , same with an LOI game - ok i know SRFC do a good family stand now,but still its desperate stuff- the language from the crowd, knackers in the ground, the chants- the dogs abuse players get, i suppose like you follow united or pool or whatnot u cant see it because it means nothing to you- it cant -it can never mean anything to you - if it did you would be part of the mob-
in soccer - the most vulgar levels of behaviour are tolerated - i get the ferocious passion of the fans and people involved but people think they have the right to go into a ground and have free reign to call a lad playing right full a p"edo for 90 minutes and not have any repercussions- now our away support that we took with us was the worst i have ever seen but when they backed us they did they what… however i cannot for the life of me understand how anyone in their right mind unless they were born in city can adopt a sense of identity with another soccer club, how can a fella from york follow cork city, how can a fella from kilkenny identify with the away support from everton or carlisle, to me it impossible - there is way too much there going on

look i love watching football but i could only get remotely excited about cobh doing well - if we won the FAI cup id probably implode id say

14 Likes

How did he know where the all stars were going on tour?

I was asked to fill in for a team at uni in the first semi serious soccer match I ever played in. I couldn’t believe how the players spoke to the ref. Effing this, and c that. I’d never encountered anything like it in rubby or gaa, as it wouldn’t have been tolerated. Call the ref a cunt in one of them, back then at least, and you were gone, with serious repercussions to follow.
I was playing in defence and he gave a penalty against me that absolutely never was one. Getting into the spirit of things, I called him a prick, and was immediately horrified. I apologised to him sincerely at half time, and said it was inexcusable and I was ashamed. He shook my hand. I’m still ashamed now tbh.
(Actually I told him he was a fucking prick.)

2 Likes

A rather graphic account of the state of soccer on a national level. I was almost searching my pockets for a claw-hammer to defend myself such were my trepidation levels.
Attendance at, or participation in this heinous activity seem a life threatening experience.

I just can’t remember a phrase of used here about the soccer crowd.

An enlightened post @mickee321.

The only reason to play is that for the rest of your life you can say ‘I played a bit for cobh ramblers/bray wanderers’ etc. The fact that these teams are known throughout Ireland and their results get read out by Darren frehill and Jackie hurley does give them a certain kudos way ahead of ringmahon rangers or swords celtic even if the standard is similar. You’ve proved that here.

My theory about the chanting, abuse and general scumbaggery of the crowds at soccer is that they do it to alleviate the abject boredom of trying to watch the games.

ah jesus if that was the case there would be rapes at a rugby match

5 Likes

Have you ever been to a spud hockey game?

No tension. 90 shots in 70 mins

Football is cerebral. There is a reason it’s the most watched game in the world

3 Likes

Nail on head, its pointless rubbish, blazing the ball over the line seen as a good play. But its a window into its players and followers mindset, certainly here and in the uk. Feigning injury, mouthing off knowing theres no real repercussions to that, completely over the top or misplaced anger at imaginary sleights in an attempt to appear hard. The crowd has to try appear masculine looking at such pathetic behavior and cowardice on the field. Perfect sport for women.

1 Like

You must be talking football? Lavey? Dungiven? Bellaghy?

Mickees posts above are great and a rarity for tfk in that he’s not trying to win an argument, play to a gallery, wind anyone up, prove himself right or make himself look good. he’s just being honest and talking from experience.

a thing about the EPL - i dunno how fellas do it
ive been to west ham a few times, and i love to go to a day out for a game, its a great day - but jesus how can you actually support west ham unless ure from east london
we were watching them play stoke one day - the fucking abuse from the bottom left hand corner of the home stand to the away end was horrific - like if u claim to support a team - put yourself in that corner, could you do it in your best cork accent - fuck sake
lads following liverpool - u have fellas from an estate in a shithole , i dunno toxteth or somewhere singing about a plane crash 60 years ago - like off you go there now pat with the boys and sing away with those vermin - is that you is it?
you see thats the problems at lower league and LOI you hear that througout the game there is nothing else, but EPL can drown it out and sky sanitises it and from a screen in the rathoat inn it looks ok

4 Likes

Comparing a sport localised almost entirely to one country to the one truly global sport?

100% right mate. Great post.

How did we get from the topic heading to the current hi jacking? Why am I even bothering asking🤷‍♂️

ok maybe im not as focused here - sorry
like you can follow the dubs but think fellas on the hill are idiots - i suppose its just easier for you to be able to understand them if ure a dub - same with me and the CRFC hardcore - i get their shit, i dont agree with it but i get it, but i dunno could i say the same for a team in hull or something

Just throw me an oul ‘like’. We can sort out the details later.

3 Likes

I would say very few Irish fans of English football clubs go to away games for “their” teams. That’s where you find the real hardcore. You can easily avoid it depending on where you sit in home ends

1 Like

sorry for a thread digression but we are nothing w/o diversity of opinion

to answer the original question, No

1 Like