Has anyone played soccer in scumhole council estates?

Tremendous leather jacket in fairness

1 Like

To give him his due, yes, unrale. And no go back in him. :clap:t2:

It was awful shit, one goal and an owl quarter final or something and I nearly drank myself to death…

… out of fucking boredom…

You’re confusing quantity with quality. There have been tens of thousands of great physicists in the last century but only a handful of Einstein’s. Your own anecdotal experience is immaterial if you played junior hurling in Dublin, It almost invalidates your opinion.

Hurling is the pinnacle of sport, only ice hockey comes close. You don’t actually need to play to appreciate what they do, nothing beats growing up with and watching hurling artists up close for years. It’s both a cerebral game and a warrior game, comparing it to football is like comparing chess to marbles.

3 Likes

Let’s just compare two facets of the game, the puck out and goal kick. Watch the way a hurling goalie pings the ball 80 yards into the hand of a half forward. Let alone the league in Ireland but up to international level a goal kick involves hoofing the ball downfield hoping someone can get their head on it and direct it to a teammate, which almost never happens.

Agreed re my personal experience being immaterial, however the number of participants matter. It’s a niche sport played by few people, this means it’s incomparable to a widely played sport where the sheer magnitude of competition means it dwarfs the abilities required to play at the highest level. Competition matters. You’re deluding yourself because of your love for the game. It’s a niche hobby. It’s akin to being great at water polo, shinty, aussie rules, handball. A nice hobby.

Jesus. I don’t know. If you take the English premiership to be the be all end all based on money alone, well, then I’m my humble opinion you are only coding yourself. Shit game for shit money.

A lad playing bog ball covers a distance of 9.22km on average in a 70 min game , a premier league midfielder does 10k-11k in 90 min . Nothing super human about them . John o shea was great for sticking his head and leg out to block a ball for years ! Stones who is an international player for england can barely run , ryan Giggs an 40 was terrorising defences and getting player of the year ,

Do the scotch talk the same shit about shinty

@Mac can run 10k in 45 mins

What’s your point

You haven’t watched football in a while. Most LOI teams hoof the ball as a last resort

Hurling as a sport is played in one pocket in Ireland. It is not the number one sport there

This leads to a lack of innovation and fresh ideas

Simple questions for you

Do you think the GGA is a well run organisation?
Do you think Irish shinty is a good sport

True, doubt it’s much better than when I watched.
I was talking about goal kicks, a lottery.
Hurling is played in all 32 counties.
There’s more innovation in hurling over the past few decades than any other sport.

Compared to what? The FAI? GAA is alive and well throughout the 32 counties.
Hurling is the best sport in the world.

So the gaa is alive and well and hurling is the best sport in the world yet hurling hasn’t spread beyond tipp and it’s surrounding counties

Explain?

I can only talk about rovers…Most goal kicks don’t get out of penalty box

What part of hurling is played in all 32 counties don’t you understand?

How is the GAA not alive and well? Compared to the Airtricity league? What’s the average capacity of a LOI Premier ground, 5k? What’s the average attendance?

Hurling isn’t played in moderate numbers outside tipp and the surrounding counties. How has the GAA let that happen? It’s odd that the best sport in the world isn’t played in moderate numbers in Ireland?

There’s vast vast amounts of Ireland where kids have no access to hurling.

1 Like

I love this place as there are serious players on here, and that’s a high standard of football, but I go to any junior hurling match, and know I’ll see a player, and think “fcuk me, that lad is brilliant”. Its the beauty of the parish system.
I plan on being the Galway answer to @dodgy_keeper when I immigrate.

Is that not Anthony Cunningham in the background?

i won a bronze medal in the Munster inter county schools high jump.

1 Like

This isn’t true either. I’ve played all four of rubby ( mediocre), hurling (badly but my favourite) ,football (badly) , and soccer (badly).
All require courage and toughness to an extent. Of them all, you get more nasty niggles and belts playing soccer. You’ll never, ever meet a windy inter county hurler or footballer, or professional soccer player at any level.
I’ve met a few professional soccer players. They all have the thousand yard stare to a greater or lesser degree. Tough fuckers.

1 Like