Hibs v Celtic ☘

I don’t care how we win, as long as we win. Lovely.

2 Likes

Idah care how we win

1 Like

It’s bizarre that Stephen Kenny often selected Brighton’s 4th or 5th choice centre forward ahead of Adam Idah. Nerves of steel from Ireland’s premier striker tonight.

But that was a lucky win. We had a spell of concerted pressure when Kyogo first came on & there was that chance when Idah failed to connect cleanly & Kyogo dallied on the loose ball.

Increasingly though, Hibs actually got on top & had a couple of excellent chances. We became very open on Saturday when we sacrificed a midfielder for another forward & it was something similar tonight, especially with Abada & Palma making it a 4-2-4 effectively. Hibs were man marking McGregor & O’Riley & Celtic were lacking cohesion late on & failing to build any play in the final third…until the penalty.

Sutton had earlier alluded to Celtic having some alarming second half fade outs this season, like at Kilmarnock before Christmas, & tonight was a lucky escape along the same theme.

As has been said, that back four tonight won’t really do. And the underperformance wasn’t confined to that sector either, midfield was ponderous & Maeda & Kuhn were poor. Idah could have put a chance away from open play but those penalties were massive. His movement was good & he led the line well.

One of those ones that could prove pivotal & kickstart a good run but can’t help but have nagging doubts about what’s going on with the club this season.

1 Like

Douglas own Adam Idah
IMG_8551

I had Douglas down as wearing yellow. Am I wrong?

For clarification I think Idah is the player in the foreground.

1 Like

@locke doesn’t see colour

1 Like

Yep, Douglas black/green/white hoops. Nemo Rangers Black &Green.
IMG_8552

Oops. I meant association football. I should have spotted the Gaelic ball.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Douglas Hall are yellow with blue trim. College Corinthians who Idah played for have blue/white half shirts.

2 Likes

Ah yeah Douglas Hall was who I’ve seen play in the past. Much obliged.

1 Like

I guess the optimistic outlook is

Hart played well and has made big saves in the last couple or games.

Taylor is due back at the weekend. He’s limited but we have a better defensive shape particularly against counter attacks when he’s there.

Kyogo looked sharper coming on. Was too slow on his first chance but worked the 1-2 well with O’Riley for the second goal.

We may have found a penalty taker (although I’m not sure he’s a regular starter)

Maybe Kuhn wasn’t as bad as he looked if Abada was even worse.

I hope we have better options for controlling the midfield in future then. The Kyogo move was a gamble and I guess it worked but it certainly didn’t offer us any control of midfield and the same was true at the weekend. Bernardo wasn’t the worst tonight but we do need to have other ways of getting possession in midfield when our first three aren’t working out. And please God we’ll be winning in a match soon so won’t need an extra striker as the change of plan.

Didn’t realise Sevco were so close. Should be a good run in. Will be interesting to see Idah in a dominant team

https://twitter.com/celticway1888/status/1755394410341077209?s=46&t=0sQkcb7z4szDmx1-2Xlm0w

2 Likes

Penalties were both odd, in that the ball was gone both times, and neither challenge needed to be made.

Are Celtic now edging into Rangers territory around getting awarded penos?

Did he grow up locally? Him and Ogbenne?

Not just the back four though. The team seems to have little shape or identifiable pattern. I reckon BR is hoping for the boot and the attached payday, because we look like we’ve an interim/temporary manager who’s stepped in from the under 13 academy whilst we look for an actual manager. BR is notable mostly for timing the hugs and claps on the back for the cameras at the end, and looking smug, because his side in fact just got played off the park for swathes of a game by Hibs in front of a half empty stadium. The huns looks far better equipped for a run in Europe, for whatever reason. We just look stale.
Idah though looks to have a nice brave strut. Big and strong too.

Yep, both from Douglas.

Off to the things i learned today thread…

If rangers got those two, I’d be infuriated. I’m self aware that way. Both were penalties. Both were absolutely crass because both challenges were absolutely pointless.
The Hibs one would have been given at Ibrox, soft, but a penalty I’d say. Lad went the full platoon when a stumble would have sufficed.

1 Like