Hillsborough disaster stuns sporting world

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/15/northern-ireland-slurry-pit-accident?newsfeed=true

Three family members die in Northern Ireland slurry pit accident

Fourth person critically ill after accident on family farm outside Hillsborough, Co Down

Henry McDonald
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 15 September 2012 23.18 BST

Three members of the same family have died in a slurry pit accident tonight in Northern Ireland.
It is understood a father and two of his sons lost their lives in the tragedy on their family farm outside Hillsborough, Co Down.

There were unconfirmed reports the tragedy unfolded after one of the family members entered the pit to rescue their pet dog which had fallen into it. A fourth person believed to be a daughter was critically ill in Belfast’s Royal Victoria hospital.

Ambulance crews received a call to the farm in Drumlough Road just after 6pm and deployed several rapid response teams. One line of inquiry the police are pursuing is that the four may have been overcome by toxic fumes inside the slurry pit.

A spokesman for Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said: "Three were unconscious and NIAS paramedics commenced resuscitation efforts immediately assisted by other ambulance personnel.
"One of the four showed initial signs of responding to the efforts of the crews and was transported immediately to the nearby Lagan Valley Hospital, where unfortunately he died a short time later.
“Despite the best efforts of all involved the other two men died at the scene. A female was treated at the scene and taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital where she is recovering from the effects of fume inhalation.”

The ambulance service said it extended its sympathies to those involved.
The Health and Safety Executive has been notified about the tragedy and an investigation will be held over the next few days. The names of the victims have yet to be released but it is understood one of them is a well known sportsman in the province.

The MP for the area Jeffrey Donaldson who knows the family described the loss of life as a “devastating blow” to the Hillsborough community.

“The victims are from a well known and highly respected family,” the Lagan Valley MP said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their loved ones. And I am certain the community of Hillsborough will rally around them at this terrible time.

Local SDLP councillor Pat Catney who is originally from the Hillsborough area SDLP councillor Pat Catney is originally from the area said: "I’m shocked and devastated. It’s another farming accident, and there are too many of them.

“Something has to be done to stop these accidents. I’m sorry for the family and for the neighbours.”

Fuck sake Sid

I regret to inform larryduff and other rugby fans that Ulster rugby player Nevin Spence was the well known sportsperson who died in this incident.

See the rugby thread. Thread title is in bad taste for many many reasons.

You are a disgusting cunt-this is about as low as I’ve ever seen. Take this down mods-I know ye think ye are hilarious but for fucks sake have some respect.

post reported

attacking the poster not the post coupled with blue language

infraction coming your way my slow witted friend

What on earth makes you think I would want to score points off the tragic death of three family members? dancarter - I hadn’t read the rugby thread.

disappointing sid

3 die in a slurry put and not a single AFR reference. for shame sid

I had thought of it art but in the spirit of the thread I thought it inappropriate.

:o

:lol:

Ah look, it’s really shitty news so can we quit the puns for now.

Your a city dweller so you can have a pass Sid. But I know two people personally who have died like this, and I’m sure I’m not alone on here. Not funny at all

absolutely sid, this stories been dung to death

+1.

Sidney,I feel sorry for you at this stage…
There is something missing in you big time…

The lowest i have yet to see anywhere ever on an internet forum! A disgrace!

Sidney out!

Indeed I have plenty of things missing in my personality, as have you and everybody else.

You should have read what I wrote when Gerry Ryan died.

Have you ever read the “Darwin Awards”? Something that’s regularly joked about on every forum across the world, involving gruesome and bizzare deaths of people. I’m sure you’ll find it’s regularly joked about on boards.ie. If you object to puns about the death of somebody like Nevin Spence, I hope you’ll be consistent and object to puns on evry other person who has ever died, including people featured in the Darwin awards. There’s a thing called the “Uaneen rule” on this forum. Until somebody says otherwise, that’s the rule I’m, adhering to, because, to bring my religious background into things here, I believe everybody is born equal and dies equal.

Scum!