Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

Westport is a great base and she could take in Connemara and Clifden from there.

Athy

Was reading that yesterday and was surprised to see the likes of The Gresham, The Heritage and The Castletroy miss out. Wexford a hotel stronghold judging by that list.

All B-list venues imo

Would second that.
Sounds taylor made for them.

I assume they paid to be nominated

Is parknasilla not dear?

Hardly much dearer than Cornwall

Anyone got the list?

Not overly. Just pulled an invoice for a 3 night stay we had there last year for a not too dissimilar time of year. Off peak. Everywhere will be expensive these days but I thought the below was good value. There is a tonne of things to do there and in immediate vicinity. You can rent kayaks at hotel and explore different inlets and islands. It was spectacular. They have pool and outdoor hot tubs. We stayed in a 3 bedroom lodge which might be handy for the 13 and 15 year old. So you can do a bit of self catering and eat in hotel.

3 Likes

We’ve got some good deals in the past through Dream Ireland on these lodges.

Yeah the lodges are great. Its the only way with kids or you’d never have a moments peace. Nice to be able to put them down to bed and throw on Netflix and have a couple of drinks. There are some great deals available. Always worth ringing hotel first as well before booking anything online.

1 Like

I can take a few pics and post the list on here when I get home. Think it was The Europa in top spot. The likes of Mafield House, Kelly’s in Rosslare and The Amber Springs scored well.

It sells itself

Waterville, Caherciveen, Kenmare & Killarney all within an hour too.

Ah don’t worry mate. Couldn’t get behind the Indo paywall.

Air b n b in Dingle would be decent value that time of year. It’s probably the nicest scenery in Ireland and it’s set up for visitors

Westport as an alternative but I think Dingle is better spot for a visitor.

Supermacs in Barack Obama plaza on the way for a real taste of Ireland in terms of our cuisine and neediness.

1 Like

I love Dingle but not for a family holiday out of season, you’re fairly isolated in Dingle, it’ll be scoffed at but Killarney is a better option, central for day trips etc.

1 Like

Kenmare is a great base in my opinion. Can do all the Kerry sights and the Beara peninsula too within a short spin.

Kenmare is a lovely little town too

3 Likes

That’s great value.

Derrynane house and Derrynane beach close by as well. The latter is spectacular. Some photos of our stay there. Honestly couldnt recommend it highly enough. Got an amnesty to play a few holes of golf. Below is 12th hole. Its part of the property.

16 Likes