Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

Thanks @johnnysachs @Fagan_ODowd @cowpat @backinatracksuit @habanerocat. Back after a few days down there and had an outstanding time, absolutely loved it and the suggestions kept me right. Lovely friendly people in that part of the world, fine grub and brilliant tourist attractions.
@peddlerscross the young fella had the ice-cream from the shop you suggested in Cahir as the highlight of his trip, great shout

11 Likes

A trip to Skelligs near end September. What’s chances of landing - landing tour is 120

Have you your will made out?

2 Likes

By God.

1 Like

I’d be interested myself in the answer to that.

1 Like

Lovely campsite in Mountshannon @TreatyStones
You’d probably need decent weather but it’s right on the lake with a few decent jumping in spots, even a diving board, about 7 feet high.

Mountshannon is a nice spot, a short hop from Limerick but I can’t say for sure that ivevever been here before

1 Like

I’m off to Kinsale this weekend on a trip with pals I first booked in September 2020 but was twice postponed due to Covid.

I managed a trip to Kinsale with other people in the interim when it was outside dining.

1 Like

I’d a lovely lunch there a few weeks back in a place called lemon and leaf. The town was hopping. I also went up to Charles Fort for a look, impressive. Great views up there

3 Likes

The White House is well worth a visit, fabulous food.
Then there’s always Dino’s, simplier and just as nice.

1 Like

Interesting spot to while away a day or sit with a picnic and a camera

2 Likes
1 Like

Anyone ever go to the Amber Springs in Gorey with kids?

Yes, excellent if you get one of the Family Dens. Availability can be an issue.

1 Like

Yeah, we thought it was grand for kids. Went for a couple of nights in April & thought it could have done with a little sprucing up. Starting to look a bit dated since our previous pre pandemic visit. But it has all the facilities you need with kids - pool (basic enough), playground in what they call “Amber Park” which has some farm animals, go carts, crazy golf & a few bits. They have a “train” which does a loop of the hotel at either 11am or 12pm daily. Breakfast was decent, a couple of dining options though not sure if they’ll all be open off peak. Would echo the family den recommendation, gives you more freedom to have a drink in the room & watch something on TV without waking them. You’re also close to a few other options near Gorey like Kia Ora Farm & Wells House.

1 Like

Right gents. A really lovely lass at work asked me where to go in Ireland for a week with her husband and two kids 15 and 13. She’s never been before, but she’d see the good side of anything. She was thinking October half term, but I think she’d be better weather wise earlier maybe??
She goes to Cornwall every year on holiday. She wouldn’t have that much spare money I’d imagine. Oh and they only have an electric car (Tesla)
I reckon Dingle, clifden or Westport.
Any other thoughts?
She was wondering about driving down the coast but to me she’d be better basing herself somewhere??

1 Like

You didn’t say for how long but would a lap of the country give them a feel for it and maybe a return visit? Head down the east coast and then cut across via Kilkenny of course and do the west coast as north as they can afford, returning to Dublin presumably.

Newgrange and melifont
Clonmacnoise

Parknasilla, Kerry.

1 Like