Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

Thinking of booking Waterford Castle for a few days in August. Close to Tramore I see. Recommendations on places to eat, beaches, etc will be most welcome.

@KinvarasPassion and other SoGa types.

I’ll be in yer neck at the weekend. Give me somewhere nice and family friendly for dinner

You’re on the Wexford side of the city there too, so can take the Passage East ferry over to Wexford and do a spin around that region for a day too. Plenty of nice restaurants around Dunmore East, Azzuro is a really good Italian and great for kids, and Spinnaker there too. If you have kids and are in around the city, Momo restaurant in town is really good for families. The greenway is a nice day out, I think its now opened into the city too. If you are travelling down the south coast a bit, there is a nice little petting farm place near Ardmore, and Ardmore itself is a nice spot to go to. Plenty of beaches on that south west Wexford coast and from passage down to tramore. Woodstown, Dunmore, some coves there too. Tramore is a good day out for kids in the amusement park. wouldnt be as gone on the beach there but its a day out too if you were to go down there.

2 Likes

If you make it as far as Dungarvan then …,and chips is one of the best chippers in Ireland

The self catering lodges? They are supposed to be nice. The drawback with the castle is that it’s on an island and you have to go on a ferry to get over and back. The kids might like the adventure of that though.

Dunmore East is about 10k away as is Tramore. Both nice places for kids to enjoy the beach. Woodstown is nearer. Not a great swimming beach but a great beach to walk.
Grow HQ is the nearest restaurant and is very good. In the city Geoffs, Momo, Bodega, McLearys, Union and Cafe Goa are all good places to eat. In Dunmore, the Strand, Azzuro and the Spinnaker are all good. In Tramore Mezze, Toms Kitchen and the Victoria House all good. Jack Meades pub will be near you. That has a big eating area outside and playgrounds and farm animals that will amuse the children while you nurse a pint bottle.
Don’t forget the Greenway.

2 Likes

And visit Ardkeen Stores, the best Supermarket in the country.

3 Likes

You carefully omitted the bit “I left a €20 behind the counter for the kids for sweets” from your post.

2 Likes

Why are you advising him to give business to Ballygunner Hurling Club institutions?

It is through gritted teeth that I recommended Willie Hartleys establishment as he is one of the meanest men in Ireland. @mikehunt could observe the former All Ireland club champions grazing in Grow HQ of a Saturday morning if he wanted to give himself a lift.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Fagan. Yep staying in the lodges. Bringing the mother as well so an island is ideal as I can roar abuse at her in a remote location.

I used to work on the island when I was a young lad. It was a tomato farm then. The glasshouses were where the lodges are now.
It’s a decent golf course too.

2 Likes

I intend to play it.

I was a member there for a few years before the legs packed in. Grand course. 17 and 18th holes are a bit meh but the rest of it is lovely.

1 Like

Porter house in Oranmore does nice pub grub, a very popular option.
Sullivans in Gort does is solid roaster fare.
Pier Head in Kinvara for slightly pricey food with a nice setting.
Moran’s in Kilcolgan for seafood.
Linnanes lobster bar in New Quay, Clare for seafood.

3 Likes

Could you have typed that exact same thing 30 years ago?

2 Likes

Line for line.

1 Like

Anywhere activities wise for young kids?

Burren Sanctuary Kinvara worth a look. Ages?

2 Likes

Just given your post a like there, mate. Can’t believe how rude @mikehunt was to not even acknowledge it.

4 and 2