Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

Castlecomer is good aul craic alright. Good shout.

There’s a reptile park somewhere around Gowran.

1 Like

I assumed this was a dig at DJ but turns out it does exist but is in the city now

https://www.nationalreptilezoo.ie/

2 Likes

Unrale

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0627/1391357-emerald-park-rollercoasters/

It’s moved into town and is in one of the industrial estates in Hebron now. Not far from Nowlan Park.

I’m going to start thinking about next years holiday already, the reason being for a few years during Covid we just didn’t get around to going anywhere bar a quick weekend away and this year I was so sick of no holiday that I booked an Airbnb house about 7-8 months early and had the pick of everything. I thought it was well worthwhile doing it so far out. So next summer we want to break away from the usual Kerry holiday and I’d be thinking somewhere along the sunny south east. We’ve two very small kids (toddlers) so I wonder would Dunmore east for a week be a bit unsuitable for their ages @Fagan_ODowd ? This is where the wife wants to go but this year we went to dingle and there was plenty to do for them with playgrounds and beaches and aquarium. Anyone with any left field suggestion throw them out please.

We went to sligo for a week a few years back and was v good. Got a fine air bnb and loads of beaches etc nearby

1 Like

Would they like/be old enough for a small beach?

Probably not. I know the beach there it’s lovely but very small. I’d say there isn’t enough there to occupy kids for a week in that area?

Playground in the park and that’s about it.

If you wanna check out the Deise then Dungarvan is a nice town and is central to a nice part of the world,
Clonea is a smashing beach, you’ve great playgrounds, greenway etc
We stayed in a lovely Airbnb just on the far side of the river

1 Like

I’ve been humming and hawing about going away most of summer but its been difficult to plan anything and weather hasnt been conducive to heading West. In recent years we’ve done Donegal, Newcastle in Down, Mayo, Ballinskelligs in Kerry. Since 2nd one came along though we have only done Kerry once and that was last year. The 3 year old is acting up every day now and throwing tantrums left right and centre and the other one whos 18 months is edgy enough lately too with the teething. Sharing is a totally alien concept and no boundaries between the pair of them mean hair pulling, slapping and frequent bouts of crying are order of the day. Work is a break tbh. I couldnt for life of me begin to think about heading abroad with 2 of them or spend a week somewhere staring out at the rain. Missus is anxious to do something beyond a mere day trip here and there. Can anyone recommend a short stay somewhere in a family friendly hotel that wont evict us after one night…

6 Likes

When the kids were young we went to that Quality hotel outside Youghal a few times, its adjacent to a beach. Its a while since we were there but it covered alot of options at the time.

1 Like

I’d highly recommend dingle

2 Likes

The Clonakilty park is extremely child friendly, not luxurious by any means but you probably don’t need that
Parknasilla is excellent, Fota has its attractions

2 Likes

Incredible, 2 cork suggestions.

Amber springs or somewhere like that would be good. They have kids play areas, pet farms and activities etc. The whole place is kid centred, and mostly for younger kids. We did it twice i think and it was great for them and gave us a chance to have a couple of drinks while watching the kids without feeling like alcos or weirdos. Very close to nice beaches etc too. And a few other things the wexicans will tell you cc @briantinnion @Mac

1 Like

Is it open again? I had thought it closed during covid and then opened back as a Ukrainian refugee accommodation. We stayed there before too, nice handy spot in fairness

Hadn’t even heard it closed. The Ukrainians hit gold there so, grant spot.

Just back from an extremely enjoyable few days in Waterford. Stayed in the city. Went to Tramore a couple of days. Went to Dunmore East but weather wasn’t in it that day. Both are very close to the city. Lovely day in Bunmahon on Thursday. Beach nearly deserted. Kids loved it but they were old enough to take a dip and mess with sand. The babba wasn’t happy stuck in the chair but he’ll get over it. Loads of hurdy gurdys in Tramore to keep them occupied. There’s also an indoor splash play centre therr but we didn’t go. Beautiful area going along the coast.

4 Likes