How likely are you to have a COVID-19 associated death?

I know we have one or two threads dedicated to COVID-19, but this is one with a twist. It uses the science to help us determine how likely we are to have a COVID-19 associated death.

https://qcovid.org/Home/AcademicLicence?licencedUrl=%2FCalculation

We can use a bog-standard Irish liberal male as our test case here, say @Bandage. The average height of an Irish male is about 178cm and the average weight is about 70kg. We can assume our test case is a 40-year-old white Irish male, of below-average height (so 175cm) and a slightly rotund 80kg. There is no check box for a fondness of tea and biscuits or woke-related stresses, so we’ll take a punt and say he is in relatively good health. Based on all the above metrics, we get the following:

By comparison, the suicide rate for males in Ireland in 2018 was 12 per 100,000 population, which is a rate of 1 per 8,333. So, there you have it. Our test case is 8 times more likely to die by his own hand than he is of having a COVID-19 associated death.

6 Likes

What do we get if we go for height of, say, 175cm and weight of, say, 87kg? This hypothetical character is obese on the BMI index and is, say, 39 years old. He hates the huns too.

4 Likes

For this hypothetical character if you added in a forehead that you could screen movies on would that add any further risk?

8 Likes

That’s the exact percentage I got using my own particulars. I am the identikit test subject.

I’m 1 in 142857.

I’d say it’s the exact same score mate. @Horsebox, even if the forehead was so big that the hypothetical character’s face was on their chin it wouldn’t matter.

Nice to see @Batigol is a 15 year-old Karl Froch type.

The Covid deniers are coming apart at the seams.

Good to know. Please keep science out of any further covid discussions though.

1 Like

Sure the hatred is probably the only thing keeping him going