How many all Ireland's in a row will jp buy?

Flatty and carryharry respectively reckon Galway and tipp are Limerickā€™s rivals.

1 Like

Thatā€™s all grand but discipline is an important part of the game. Tipp brought in a lad who was known to lack it and the paid the price.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know if that is true. The Dunneā€™s are known for being hot but Benny had been playing intercounty hurling for the bones of 8 season up to that point and I canā€™t recall him pulling a dirty stroke or being indisciplined before that day at that level. If anything I would have said that Benny was too ā€œniceā€ of a hurler at I/C level

4 Likes

Galway have a 100% record against Limerick this year.
Tipp were given a 12 point headstart and were annihilated in 20 mins.
You canā€™t argue with facts.

Maybe Iā€™m being unfair to the chap.

It was utterly bizarre. Shows how hyped up he was. Iā€™d not heard anything bad about him before that.
It was an epic game, but I still donā€™t think the penalty (much as Gavin couldnā€™t wait to give it, Iā€™d say he had a little spot in his underpants) was the fulcrum of that game. It was the sending off.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

15 Likes

Have you nothing better to be doing?
Taken out of context.

Wasnt there a story going round that Tommy Walsh was messing with Bennyā€™s helmet as in kept shoving it over his eyes off the ball and benny just lost the rag?

He supposedly was supposed to be very firey and lowering the blade in a Toomevara jersey along with some of his brothers. But he never brought that to I/C level before that belt on Walsh from what I recall

That was the story alright, but his reaction was, shall we say, definitive. Limerick get away with that kind of thing, but not tipp.

The Dunnes traditionally would have a bit of dirt in them. My father said their auld lad would have been one of the dirtiest hurlers he played against. However, Tommy was fairly clean and Benny wouldnā€™t have been the worst.

He came on every match that year at midfield and was effective enough. He was brought in much earlier in this game for John Oā€™Brien at half forward, which seemed surprising. My father remarked afterwards that they should have pushed Woodlock to half forward. His direct running would have caused Kilkenny a bit of bother (as Bonner would 12 months later), although Woodlock wouldnā€™t have the hurling of Benny.

PS @flattythehurdler it was Kirwan not Gavin that was reffing that match. We will never forget that

3 Likes

Diarmuid Kirwan was the referee that day.

Happened in front of me. It was an awful slap.

The first thing you see Benny Dunne do as he walks towards ref is close up his helmet. Walsh was messing about with him for a few minutes doing that kind of trickery. Walsh didnā€™t stay down for long in fairness to him. Straight back up.

2 Likes

It was too obvious and brutal. Nobody would get away with it. Everyone of us knew he was gone the second it happened.

Two cheeks of the same arse.

It was always in him iirc

Here fishy fishy!

1 Like

Lads thinking youā€™d remember what you posted about the Munster championship months ago?
Too many poor people think this place is like real life where you ought to be consistent to get on.

1 Like

I generally cant remember what I post from a week back, not to mind months and years ā€” some lads take the INTERNET very seriously.

2 Likes