Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

How fucking dare that fucker try and go down that road.

Yes Donal Rip

1 Like

2 points from 86 possessions. That’s such an indictment.

That’s 84 possessions where Clare didn’t have the ball though. Davy is a genius

Tony Kelly by himself in the full match was 10x more effective than the entire Wexford team combined.
30x more effective than their first half performance.

2 Likes

Excellent ; Wexford 2020 “keep away” Champions.

Who is he?

How many of those were quality possessions though?

What was the pass completion rate I wonder and how does it compare with Stephen Kenny’s Ireland team?

1 Like

I watched back the game during the week and one thing i took away from it was that Conor McDonald started the game fairly well at centre forward. He got three shots off in the first 15 minutes and was winning ball and looking threatening.

After the waterbreak he moved into full forward where it appeared he remained until Chin was introduced after an hour. In that time he touched the ball once from what I could see from the first waterbreak until full time, he managed to get on a ball from a ruck out by the sideline and hit a tame enough effort which either dropped shot or went wide, I can’t fully recall. Wexford did bring him out late in the first half when they were being cleaned on long puckouts and his marker Conor Cleary caught the ball and led to a Clare score and was moved back inside.

Aidan Nolan was playing as left half forward or in that general area and I think he got two possessions in his 55 minutes or so on the pitch.

Liam Og McGovern, other wing forward and I use that term loosely got on a lot of ball especially in the second half but it was all back on his own 40 metre line - This meant that Wexford had 4 forwards up against 6 Clare backs chasing a game with a strong wind - Pat O’Connor has never had an easier day of it as he sat on the 40 and caught 3 or 4 uncontested balls all the while he opponent was 60 odd yards back the field and he had a wall of 6 Clare lads in front of him which Wexford repeatedly tried to work the ball through rather than over.

Clare had Seadna Morey operating close to the full back in order to protect the goal - which makes sense as Wexford would need a goal or two yet he was rendered redundant by Wexford’s tactic and may as well had a hand of cards with Conor Cleary given the free ride the two of them got.

1 Like

Ah here!

With the age of the current group I’d say ye’ll be thereabouts for another 5 years anyway. If ye retain the hunger of course.

Give him his due he doesent give up

Waterford will beat clare. tdb is some hurler as is kelly but waterford are v physical and will get the better me thinks. the other game could go anyway.

1 Like

The fact that @Fagan_ODowd is so quiet makes me think that Clare are going to do it this weekend.

Lohan well used to walking all over Liam Cahill - hard to see Cahill being able to turn the tables now.

4 Likes

:grinning:

brain over brawn? i think waterford played some great stuff v limerick and could get the better of ye physically but its all on the day

Limerick aside I wouldn’t worry too much about Clare losing the physical battle to any of the other remaining teams. Clare are far better this year at committing to contesting dirty ball and are more physical in the tackle.

I think Galway and Tipp might have too much firepower for us but we match up well against Kilkenny and Waterford imho especially if Waterford play only two inside forwards

I’m finding this very hard to call. Waterford will hassle and hit but they’ve no standout scorer, no true top class forward bar the mercurial one. This is like a game Shane o Donnell could, to use the local vernacular, do wreck

i disagree, galway are a very pyhsical side and they show’d that again last week when they should have beat kilkenny. Waterford are very physical and it will be a dogfight. Clare play with forwards withdrawn too its the way the game has gone. Im looking forward to it