Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

is losing a clash in the air a basic error? two of waterfords goals came from contested balls breaking and Dessie having an acre in front of him.

I’d be very reluctant to blame Rory Hayes for anything yesterday. He held up manfully for a corner back left one on one with a forward who is on fire.

In fairness there’s no more experienced poster to comment on a hurling match from in front of the TV

1 Like

He wasn’t left one on one for the 2nd goal. There was a defender and another forward just in front of them. He wasn’t left one on one for Dessie’s first goal either

Well, we are kind of making the same point.

But I do think ‘flooding the middle third’ hurling is both uneconomical in the medium term and a blight, aesthetically, on the game.

1 Like

To call McGrath a bullshitter is wrong. He’s a bit of arse and thinks he’s way smarter than he probably is in my opinion but what he did with waterford was fairly impressive in a lot ways but he stayed one year too long which soured the whole thing.

He had a very good chance of beating Galway in the 2017 final but was probably one class forward away from executing his plan. There is a lot of parallels between McGuinness’s Donegal but McGrath lacked a Michael murphy.

McGrath hasn’t done himself any favours since leaving the job with his comments like “my waterford team” and what not but that shouldn’t really take away from what he achieved in 2017.

McGrath is another example a long with the likes of Davy and donal og who get some very personal criticism for breaking away from the usual hurling tactics from “hurling men”.

1 Like

cc @myboyblue How did Derek get on with the Laois Minors this year? Their strongest group in years yes?

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

He was left isolated with Hutchison for most of the game. Any amount of times the ball was switched diagonally out to the right and Hutchison had him on toast.

You said all goals are ultimately sourced in “a basic error”. I do not think that argument could be stood up whatsoever.

DH’s goals yesterday were sourced in a basic error (although DH is a fair operator, deserves great credit and will get better). But not every goal, even so, is error derived.

I agree on Rory Hayes. Stuck well to his task.

Imagine if DMcG had DH… DMcG would ruin him, same as he ruined Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran.

1 Like

But not for the goals. Which was what was being claimed. Meaning a sweeper would have had no impact on the goals…

Nail on the head

Almost every goal is the result of a defensive error. Maybe not basic. But you could analyse every goal and find fault in a break of the play with some aspect of your defending. There are some goals which are other worldly and do not meet with this view, but those are few and far between

What did you make of tipp Galway yesterday?

Every action on the pitch is a result of an error on the other sides part, but that’s a very depressing way to view it

Who claimed that?

He said as much. He said DH would be ideal for occupying 3 FB line players. Poor Shane Bennett was that soldier and he was so sick of it he doesn’t bother playing anymore.

Imagine a Waterford inside line of DH & Shane Bennett, playing in this current side

2 Likes

Finally a man talking a bit of sense

1 Like

cc @EstebanSexface you did

I asked a question and stated a fact

It’s also noteworthy a team like Waterford are back motoring in the old format of the championship. The four games in fiver or six weeks to get ten teams down to six hasn’t missed been at all.

2 Likes