Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

He didn’t expect himself sure

That is more auld guff which journalists eat up. He excelled in a training match the week before and it was well flagged that Honan most likely wouldn’t start with a quad tear he had. He had a one in two chance of starting, it was good management to let him know only on the morning of the match so he didn;t over think it but it it was always likely.

Loughnane did the same thing with Niall Gilligan ahead of the 97 final and only told him that morning as well.

Yeah, think Foley was back in the corner. Ollie was very good in the backs but we needed him in attack.

yeah we had conor fitz and donncha sheehan in 2005 I think, good lads but not of the top quality you’d say

“I rang him the last few days and said ‘you’re probably going to come on at some stage ‘ and we decided just to keep it from him. Now, probably everyone else around the county knew (he would start)!”

From memory it was either him or Cathal Mc that was going to be starting in place of Honan who wasnt right

1 Like

Yeah and Mickey Cahill, James O’Brien, Pat Kirby & Teeje. Teeje was a fine player but on the wane.

“I didn’t know before that. Davy brought me aside and told me.

“I thought it was brilliant, I always wanted to start, but I was a bit surprised.

It might have been known inside in Clare - but I’d say it came as a shock to most of the outside hurling world.

Definitely shocked Cork anyhow

He was on the frees (teege). In fairness we had shaughs and Niall moran who were good and a gaggle of tobins

Niall Moran & Donie weren’t exactly consistent though; fine players on their day.

Begley might have been injured too.

was that the time of Beg’s incident

You’re an awful man to be making an ape out of @EstebanSexface for two straight days. The man can’t back down.

3 Likes

ye’re experts at backing down above in galway, that’s if ye’d ever stood up in the first place

We can admit when we’re wrong, if that’s what you mean.

1 Like

Completely disagree. It was a sensational move. Giving an 18 year old their first start in an all Ireland replay is a sensational move whatever way you cut it. It was a huge call that Davy got right, as ever you are loathe to give him credit for things he gets right.

He started the opening round against Waterford, got hooked for Podge Collins and didn’t start again until the replay of the final, I think

It wasn’t his first start

1 Like

Hypothetically speaking if one of Limerick’s inside forwards was struggling for fitness and they decided to start Peter Casey in his place for the 2018 final would it have been deemed a sensational move?

He started the year before against Clare and he started against the Cats in the qualifiers and got 3 points. so no. It wouldn’t have been

The shock in 2018 was Flanagan getting called up out of the blue by Kiely. I don’t think he was even on the panel in 2017 and struggled in his last year of 21’s as far as I can recall

A Waterford win unfortunately for us on the cards this weekend. They’ve finally found a manager to unlock the potential that’s been in the county for the last 60 years and the old KK failure to adapt and burying the head in the sand will see us getting roundly beaten and exit this unusual championship. Probably for the best anyway, who in their right mind wants to meet this Limerick team in the All Ireland, it could potentially set back a county 10 years