Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Well this is obviously made up, did lads really believe it?

Darragh Fives had to have an operation on his injury two weeks ago. I think that rules him out for the year unfortuately for him. At one stage he was close to being back for the semi finals.

Gearoid Hegarty must surely be in the mix as well??

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last week vs Chipp was pure torture. I found myself watching it standing up in front of the tv.

2 Likes

Cody probably just let out a roar at them.

1 Like

When Waterford run, they run five at a time. Epic to watch. I hope that whatever happens they turn up in the final.

Waterford have gone from puke hurling under McGrath to absolutely mesmerising stuff under Cahill. That 2nd half in CP last night was as good a performance as you are ever likely to see.

2 Likes

In fairness they had spells under McGrath when they hit their stride where they were excellent- the problem was that when it doesn’t work it it horrendous and it doesn’t work more often than it does function.

a bit like Davy and his sweeper/short passing game it is like trying to catch lightening in a bottle to get it to function at a high level and very hard to put consistent performances together.

Hurling at the end of the day is a simple enough game, speed of wrist and speed of thought along with workrate will win out more often than not. If you overly structure things you are liable to inhibite those three key factors.

1 Like

I can’t agree. They may have been effective and had some success but I never enjoyed watching it and they never hit the heights that they did last night.

1 Like

In fairness their second half yesterday was one for the ages and is probably as impressive a half a hurling as I have seen a Waterford team give.

They gave a very strong second half under Derek against Cork in the 2017 a/I semi and in extra time that year v Kilkenny but it was a few levels below last night.

I’m not a fan of McGrath and his style of hurling but let’s not rewrite history either. On their day under him they were a good team.

9 Likes

As good as they were in second half They were awful in the first half

If they do that against Galway in the final it’ll be over at half time.

1 Like

True, but I suspect they banished a lot of ghosts in the 2nd half and are ready now.

The Tippos getting all worked up because Cahill manages Waterford… It’s very cute to see.

18 Likes

I wouldn’t get massively carried away with the second half lads. They executed well but Dublin hauled in a 16 point deficit almost against Kilkenny in the second half in Leinster

1 Like

So you’re counting Kilkenny’s misses but not Waterford’s appalling wides in the first half?

1 Like

We’ll see. The second half was magnificent. If Gleeson can do that for 70 they’ll take bating.

1 Like

I’d be interested to hear what Cahill’s thoughts were at half time. I didn’t think they had the plan b to switch things up and try a different way to beat Kilkenny but thought he would at least change things up. In fairness they doubled down on plan A and blew Kilkenny away in that third quarter.

The Leinster final win for Kilkenny looks all the more smash and grab now with those two quick fire goals and 22 scores from 28 shots.

That’s extremely revisionist. McGrath had them purring at times

3 Likes

True. When Waterford blew Cork away in 2015 twice in quick succession in league final and Munster semi final a very downbeat Cork manager remarked to me that they simply didn’t have the calibre of player Waterford had.