Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Realistically if you were to compare the Waterford and Galway teams man for man from the 2017 final how many would have got in the Galway team? O’Keefe, Connors, TDB, Barron maybe Fives at corner back. While Moran, Mahoney, Gleeson and Bennett were good hurlers at the time - how many of them would you pick over Canning (Mahoney), Glynn/Cooney(Moran), Whelan(Bennett) etc. They had talent but not as much as the three teams who won A/Is in those years.

Add in the fact that their full back couldn’t be trusted to mark a full forward one which inhibited things too.

1 Like

What time is the rugby on?

That’s the trend alright but Leinster teams + Galway have been ahead of the Munster teams in minor the past 3 years.

It’s on now. Ireland are leading against the World No.12 ranked side.

If he had splurged the money would have disappeared :man_shrugging:t2:

This is possible

My criticism of him is as much to do with how he had his team set up. One forward often the only attacker within 60/70 yards of the opposition goal.

If such tactics had won an All-Ireland it would have led to other counties and teams aping said tactics.

Ultimately his defensive, safety first approach was not successful.

I didn’t like his style of hurling and think the game is much the better for him and his style of hurling not being involved.

But while he had some very good players I don’t think they didn’t have enough of them to win an a/I even under a different manager. He deserves plenty of scepticism for his style of hurling and utterances but he brought Waterford very close to an A/I and there is credit where credit is due for that.

1 Like

Hell will freeze over before that happens again

Derek was the only man in 60 years to have Waterford bang there coming down the stretch in an All Ireland Final.

But for a terrible wide from Moran and some bizarre Fergal Horgan officiating, they very well might have got over the line that day.

1 Like

Jesus Horgan was terrible alright

Horgan seems to hate Waterford for some bizarre reason since the Tadhg De Burca incident a few years ago.

Kilkenny scored 13 from frees. We scored 6. We missed one scoreable one. Possibly 2.

Shtand back let ye.

2 Likes

Watching now on Sky.

What’s the story with Jamesie’s fringe?

The state of him last night. He was like a scarecrow

1 Like

Ollie and JJ are a good combo.

They are. Streets ahead of the RTÉ crew. That Wexford lady, is that Yola she speaks?

Jamsie’s suits are a bit over the top

So do you reckon if McGrath had got another 3 year term that he would have guided them to this AI final once callowness had worn off?

Tipp won AI final against arguably the greatest team of all time with a fair backbone of U21s. Clare repeated trick in 2013 again backboned by U21s. Limerick won 2 U21s and not long after won an AI. Waterford won an u21 all ireland in 2016 playing much more freely and attack minded. The blue print was there but there was a dichotomy between the 2 styles of play which probably didnt help. He underachieved with a very good crop of players who had experience of likes of Brick Walsh, Kevin Moran and Connors. His philosophy on hurling and I use the term philosophy loosely was a failure.

1 Like