Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

You’ll do nuthin

Has there been a decline in great half backs compared to the three decades previous? Paudie Maher like him or loathe him will go down as a great but after that there haven;t been too many standout ones the previous decade. JJ spent most of the few years he hurled in the 10s as a full back and Tommy Walsh did most of his best hurling in the decade before.

De Burca, Hannon, Gearoid McInerney, Brian Hogan are all effective at what they do as centre backs and in the structure around them but all would be a few levels below the likes of Corcoran, Sean McMahon, Ken McGrath or Ronan Curran in their pomp. De Burca might make a leap that he has a bit more freedom under Cahill. Even Brendan Maher who is a very nice hurler had a number of years where he was not much more than a solid hurler for Tipp for a good part of the decade, granted some was injury related and probably needed the year he had last year to add to his status where in fairness he was excellent.

Maybe the fact that teams commit more players to the middle third and less ball drops down for the half backs to mop up and for half backs to standout in previous decades or has the increase in structure and tactics done away with the swashbuckling half back. Hopefully we see more of the likes of Kyle Hayes and Callum Lyons marauding up the field from wing back in this decade.

2 Likes

Teams just aren’t lorrying it down on top of the Mahers or McInerneys anymore. Kilkenny were on top of Tipp in last years all Ireland before they went long to Maher and Tipp scored a goal and the rest was history. There is now a change in the way the position is being played. You have to be able to follow the half forward back and also be good under a high ball.

Agreed, someone like Mark Coleman would be exceptional if he was hurling in the early 2000s.

When an honest spoiler like Brendan Bugler can win multiple All Stars in the 2010s it doesn’t say much for the standard of half backs.

I can honestly say that if Limerick were playing anyone else on Sunday I’d be rooting for Limerick. I’ve had a soft spot for them since the 1973 Munster Final.

3 Likes

We have a lot in common.

I’d say the same for Waterford. I think most people feel the same for Waterford. I think the shared experience means a lot. Limerick of the 90s and Waterford of the 00s had some similarities, great days but never got over the line. Mayo footballers comparable too. Galway hurlers to a lesser degree.

Stick to your beloved Munster Rubby…

1 Like

I love Waterford. I ended up pulling a one from Ballymacarbry around the turn of the millennium and ending up going back to Clonmel with them after a match in Thurles. She was tremendous fun and Waterford definitely have the finest birds following them of any hurling county

I got a woeful box in the head in Clonmel the same night.

2 Likes

Any Liverpool match on on Sunday? That would be a big decision for you mate.

What so cranky Horsey mate?

I’m not cranky at all pal if that’s what that abortion of a post is asking.

2 Likes

Ok mate, talk to us when you’re ready.

Who are Clare natives like @Thomas_Brady shouting for on Sunday?

If we have to lose I’m glad it’ll be to Waterford. But I think ye may as well wait till next year, so ye can enjoy it properly

Predictable and reliable is our Horsey :clap:

You’ve a lovely bit of seethe simmering away there

Limerick appear to be roundly hated by the TFK neutrals. That is actually so class.

The years of false pity, the sneering and the jokes have stopped all of a sudden. Now it’s bile and jealousy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sunday’s game will be awful close. Waterford have a great chance, being tipped by more pundits than are tipping Limerick as far as I can see or at least as many, an excellent young side, really well coached. We’ll have it all to do.

I predict a Limerick win by 3 after a super battle.

1 Like

Do the neutrals hate limerick?

I’d imagine a small few of the limerick posters Are hated but not the team surely?

JJ played in the ‘10s which means he gets on the team, full stop!

1 Like

I don’t hate you mate. Pity, but not hate.

Keep the head up.