Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Will football still run tier 2? I’m throwing money on Cork to win that

Straight knockout and still retain provinces OR Straight Knockout with an open draw?

I’ve heard both options in recent weeks :joy:

It might help cut down on needless games and hammerings so I would say they would probably continue with that. We could see massive a lot of full houses this year.

Full house across the board after being locked in and nothing to shout at.

Straight knock out but with a back door for reaching provincial final. Same championship model as 1997 I think.

1 Like

Be surprised if that is a runner. Teams will need games to get sharp. Surely they will have to bring in a back doir

Push the club finals back to paddy’s day and move the hurling all Ireland back to the middle of September.

1 Like

Fergal McGill dropped that in among a load of 'I suppose’s on Radio 1 this morning. Also mentioned possibility of a back door, completing the league and having it all wrapped up by mid August.

He will very generously give teams a full two weeks to prepare for championship.

What about the lads who already have the Red Cow booked for August :sweat_smile:

I had to laugh when I heard 2 weeks. They would at least need a month.

I dont think there will be any club interprovincial or All Ireland series.

The first round of county championships might not be played until September in many counties.

1 Like

I was only thinking about this last night. The 97/98 model had Galway and Antrim/Down straight to a quarter final. Surely they won’t be throwing Galway out of Leinster?

Easiest thing is revert back to the old provincial set up. 5 in Munster, 5 in Leinster. Three teams that don’t make provincial final and top two in the second tier go into a one round qualifier with the 4 winners into the quarters with the 4 provincial finalists. Provincial winners on either side of the draw

What would make sense and would be great is if limerick, tipp and cork were given byes into the Munster semi finals based on last years results. With cork facing tipp and limerick playing the winners of Clare/Waterford. Straight knock out from then on but the loser of one province plays the winner of the other. Both provincial winners get all Ireland semi finals in their home grounds.

I was thinking the GAA could use this to finally do away with the provincials. Don’t waste a crisis.

Run off the Joe MacDonagh in a blitz over a weekend. Get two teams out of it, then 4 groups of 3. Top two in each progress. Straight knock out Quarters then.

1 Like

Existing Provincial “League” Championships with the winners of Provincial Finals going straight into an All Ireland Final would be the best compromise imo.

1 Like

Open draw straight knock out for the hurling. Let the last two standing from each province play off in a provincial final if they so wish but with loser eliminated. Cancel the football

3 Likes

Just start it up in June, and move final til September. Cancel super 8s. Provincial champs play 2 weeks after provincial final. Hard to do a redraw at this late stage in the year

Each of the 4 provinces will nominate a winner and just play off the semis then old school style

Who would Connaught nominate in the hurling I wonder :thinking: Great idea though.