Hurling Dream Team - Goalkeeper and Midfield

You have 16 points to pick three players - one keeper and two midfielders

i have included some of the backs who have spent a good bit of time at midfield or who won all stars there. If you chose one in defence then you cannot choose them a second time

Keepers

12 points -
Brendan Cummins
Donal Og Cusack
Davy Fitz
Damien Fitzhenry

10 points -
Eoin Murphy

8 points -
Anthony Nash
Nickey Quaid

6 points -
Stephen O’Keefe
Joe Quaid
Stephen Byrne
Colm Callinan

4 points -
Gary Maguire
Brian Hogan
James McGarry
James Skehill

2 Points -
Albert Shanahan
Stephen Brenner
Michael Crimmins
Phillip Brennan

Midfield

12 points -
Michael Fennelly
Tommy Walsh

10 points -
Ken Mcgrath
Ciaran Carey
Colin lynch
Richie Hogan

8 points -
Cian Lynch
Tony Kelly
Tommy Dunne
Ollie Baker
Brendan Maher
Jamie Barron
David Burke
Johnny Pilkington
James Cha Fitzpatrick
Larry O’Gorman

6 points -
Colm Galvin
Derek Lyng
Jerry O’Connor
Tom Kenny
Tony Browne
Michael Rice
Kevin Moran
Darragh Fitzgibbon
Lee Chin

4 points -
Shane McGrath
Mike Houlihan
Adrian Fenlon
Eddie Enright
Paul Browne
Bill Cooper
Johnny Coen
Donal O’Grady

2 points -
Johnathon Clancy
Andy Smith
Dave Bennett
Noel Morris
David Redmond
Johnny McCaffrey
Lorcan McLoughlin

Lynch on the same level as Carey or McGrath? And Fennelly and Walsh two points better? Ah would you stop.

Did Tommy Walsh even play midfield that much?

I’ll go: Stephen Byrne - was a solid, underrated keeper and pulled off some very good saves in his time.

Bill Cooper: No explanation needed.

Colm Galvin: Can shoot from anywhere off both sides and complements Cooper’s donkey work nicely

Won an All Star there 2004 I think but after that nearly always occupied wing back spot.

Feeling patriotic today-

1. James McGarry

8.Derek Lyng
9.Michael Rice

Eoin Murphy ten points. Dear me.

1 Like

Didn’t Jerry O’Connor win a hurler of the year from midfield? And he is 6 points worse off than Tommy Walsh

GK : Stephen O’Keeffe 6pts

MF : Johnny Coen 4pts
MF : Tom Kenny 6pts

Total : 16pts

He did, 04 or 05 cant recall which.

All Stars are picked by ignorant journalists.

TFK is the only proper barometer of GAA players.

1 Like

Yes because Tommy Walsh was as good a player as there was in the country for the bones of a decade winning all stars all over the field. Jerry O’Connor was a sub on the Cork team up until 2004 and had about three years where he was one of the standout midfielders in the country.

Hence why Mick Fennelly is 12 as for around 5 years he was peerless and the most dominant midfielder in the country. Colin Lynch is 10 as he was consistently excellent for a decade at midfield.

1 Like

Easy standout with Tom Kenny doing all the donkey work.

I’d agree with all your ratings. Some lads basing lads of how good their respective casts were which is folly.

Dream teams are based on putting a bunch of individuals together, balancing them to keep within a parameter.

Some awful simpletons being unearthed here. ( Limerick lads to the fore as usual )

You could put up best starting 15 from 2018 Season to appease them perhaps.

Tommy Walsh was an excellent hurler, I’m not disputing that. However, his career will be remembered as a wing back, not as a midfielder. The longevity of the other players you mentioned and consistent excellence at the position gives them deserving high marks at midfield.

I also feel Woodlock would be more deserving of a place for 2 points than Noel Morris

I probably bumped both Tony Kelly and Jerry O’Connor up 2 points each by virtue of their HOTY awards.

and he is available to select as a back where he is the same amount of points. I simply added him here in case someone would like the flexibility to pick him or the others listed who played both defence and midfield or midfield and in the forwards on their team at midfield.

1 Like

Woodlock was a fast runner who never looked up. You should watch him back.

Morris twice the Hurler.

Fair enough

Always played well against Kilkenny though and had the physicality for it

Woodlock would have been a 4 pointer. I have tried to put together a good mix from across the 25 years of varying quality hence why Noel Morris got the nod in the bargain bin section.