Hurling Dream Team Ground Rules

This is simply going to come down to a popular vote but what should be the criteria?

Simply compare each line keeper/full backline/half backs etc and decide which side is better put together?

Compare one sides forwards to the other teams backs and vise versa and one midfield against the other?

Or is there a more granular approach to take were we look at the composition of each side and see which one strikes a better balance in terms of skill, aerial ability, physicality, mobility, balance of scoring and ball winners in the forwards and hurlers and out and out defenders in defence etc. Teams would be marked down for picking inconsistent hurlers or lads who are of suspect temperment etc

There’s fellas who’ll mark down a team for not having enough limerick men on it.

3 Likes

Theres only one answer to that one…Donnie Ryan

Or lads can be sad like me and go through the list and mark what they feel are the high middle and low value lads in each band while on work calls.

I will use this as my reference

1 Like

I think an overall view needs to be taken, but I do think that the match-ups are important aswell. But obviously all those things you mention play a factor in the players you pick aswell. A team of 6 shapers in the forward line aren’t going to win a whole pile.

1 Like

Agreed, a “holistic approach” needs to be taken to this, factoring in a wide variety of things as individual match-ups, team balance and flexibility, sweltering heat, etc, although I do like @Big_Dan_Campbell’s Excel approach above as an aid also.

What about lads who could “destroy you on their day?” Very interesting to see how that’s factored in

1 Like

I suppose that’d be up to the individual voter. This is knockout Championship though.

That’s the beauty of championship. Their day could be today.*

*Not really useful if their day needs to be tomorrow.

We’ve 26 teams. I can see this needing a Tipp SHC format

The Damien Quigley effect

1 Like

Presumably this competition will be run over a number of days rather than a few months also, so we need to factor in 24 hour turnarounds. Lads picking Major-loving hurlers from the 90s beware.

My thinking is that the draw will take place tomorrow morning.

Preliminary round starting tomorrow lunch time finishing up Saturday evening. Quarter finals starting Sunday lunch time finishing Monday evening. Semis Tuesday/Wednesday. Final Thursday/Friday.

So we can knock a week out of it

3 Likes

Actually add two more days final next weekend as we will probably need five rounds to complete

How do we account for the Limerick never feared Tipp factor?

1 Like

“Champions league format”?

Sound man.

Criteria for collecting scores in matches is going to be tricky. Have you asked the Clergy for some help?

Do games have to be finished on the day

Yes, as president of this I will be referring to my CCCCCCC/DRA which will be led by @Fagan_ODowd to resolve any disputes

1 Like

When is the deadline for team submission?