Hurling League 2018

Is shanagher definitely out for the year ??

Yeah, only had the op before Christmas. Might make it back for the tail end of the club championship but won’t play I/C til next spring.

I think 1A mightn’t be as cut throat as it has been over the past few seasons due to the rejigging of the championship format.

The Spring will have to be used by most couties to grow their panel given that 20+ lads will be needed for 4 championship matches in 5 weeks come May/June and there will be more emphasis on squad building and giving gametime to players as opposed to avoiding relegation first and experimentation second.

2 Likes

Piles is alive and well you’ll be glad to hear. I would say that he’ll be over when our Special Juniors get to the All Ireland final in the next couple of months.

'Hon d’Lockes!

Indeed, rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Doubt I’ll be home for that though, buh.

2 Likes
1 Like

“I spoke to him last week. Myself and Donal (Moloney) would have sat down with him before he went. He’s a national school teacher and was never going to get this opportunity to take a five month break again.”

:rofl:
He’ll just have to make do with the 10 week break every summer so.

10 Likes

That Gerry O 'Connor is a dozy cunt all the same,his going to war comments before the Tipp game gave Michael Ryan a right laugh and were the epitome of cringe especially when Clare showed as much fight as a one winged pigeon soon after.

8 Likes

“would have sat down with him”
Why have the gaa lads invented an entirely new tense?

1 Like

Someone, possibly @braz83, explained to me before that using “would” in that context is appropriate when you’re recalling something that happened after the initial event (i.e. Cian Dillon fucking off to Australia) and before now. So this in between event was the meeting/phone call when he was temporarily back at Christmas. “We would have spoken to him then.”

I fucking hate it. It’s so clunky and horrible. Kieran Shannon uses it constantly in his pieces. “He would go on to make 3 championship starts in his debut season after being introduced as a sub in the League Final” type shit.

It’s an afflication in the GAA up there with “I suppose”.

I’m so angry about it.

2 Likes

That was I.

1 Like

10 weeks??

Agree rating.

They haven’t. It’s a carry over from our native tongue. You wouldn’t get linguistic gymnastics like that on the mainland. Call it Hiberno English. Cc the other west Brit @Bandage

1 Like

I was watching the Cork-Tipp Munster Final from 2000 on eir sport last night ahead of the start of the league*.

I remember when TG4 started showing “All Ireland Gold” matches from back in the day in the late 1990s and it was fairly eye opening to see how slow and ponderous the games in the 1970s and early 1980s were compared to the current day.

The same now applies to these games from around 15-20 years ago. The speed, physicality, quality of striking is on a completely higher level today than it was back then as far as I can see.

*random link to current thread

It isn’t though. It doesn’t really translate the same. It also is a relatively new construct, like “look” and “I suppose” every third sentence.
I listened to an interview with the kerry hurling manager recently in which in about a minute, if that, I counted three (3) " I supposes", and nine (9) "look"s

There was still a fair bit of hip and whip in those days, get it launch it, hit the puckout as far as you can etc. the good old days before Cork tried to ruin hurling.

Galway

1. James Skehill (Cappataggle)

2. Ronan Burke (Turloughmore)

3. Daithi Burke (Turloughmore)

4. Jack Grealish (Gort)

5. Adrian Tuohy (Beagh)

6. Martin Dolphin (Portumna)

7. Aidan Harte (Gort)

8. Johnny Coen (Loughrea)

9. Eanna Burke (St Thomas’)

10. Niall Burke (Oranmore-Maree)

11. Joseph Cooney (Sarsfields)

12. Paul Flaherty (Abbeyknockmoy)

13. Brian Concannon (Killimordaly)

14. Conor Cooney (St Thomas’)

15. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkin’s)

I know a poster here who will be itching to put his take on the Galway number 4…

Bit pointless continuing with Jack Browne at corner back. Give someone else a chance, he is wing back or nowhere. Would have liked to have seen a few more fringe players start.

1 Like