Hurling Power Rankings

Get a grip

The player is badly rattled.

1 Like

Ok what a great night for Limerick hurling beating Clare at free taking :black_nib::pushpin:

A drawn match awarded to Limerick in a lottery system. Like the penalty shoot out to declare a winner in a drawn soccer match.

1 Like

You said that we only won one game of note. If you take the line that we only drew with Clare, then we drew with Tipp as well. Which means that we are the only unbeaten team this year. I think that pushes Limerick to the top of the power rankings for this year

They’re not too far off

We will bate the bollox off the lot of yee cunts.

There is no doubt about it but ye are a serious outfit

1 Like

Last year’s championship has no bearing on this year’s championship you loon.

The only thing you can go on is the form teams are in now, and given the personnel available to them, how much realistic improvement you would expect for the championship. Teams that have improved since last year are Kilkenny, Limerick and Clare and teams that have gone back somewhat are Tipp, Wexford and Galway. Cork are probably about the same and who knows with Waterford who didn’t bother with the league. You also have to figure the impact of the intensity of the round robin format which will be more like traditional provincial championships compared to the nonsense we have had since the back door was introduced. This new format is bound to throw up a few surprise results, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a few big names miss out.

Based on form and available panels:
Munster: Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Clare, Tipp
Leinster: Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin, Wexford, Offaly

I really think it’s wide open this year, the team who truly finds their stride will win it and it could be one of many.

Galway - Champions and rightful favorites albeit based on nothing we’ve seen this year. They’ve been regulars at the business end for years now though and set the standard. Seeing is believing though and I wouldn’t be ploughing into them at current odds

Kilkenny - A team in steady decline they said. They’ll be down for years they said. What did Brian Cody and TJ Reid say, Go fuck yourselves, that’s what. Strong contenders

Tipp - Favorites the last 2 league finals only to fall flat on their faces.They won’t panic, only some Joe Canning wizardry stopped them in their tracks last year and you get the feeling they are just one big performance from being odds on favorites to lift Liam. Strong contenders

Waterford - The forgotten team. Used the league in '15 and 16 to get themselves right and having done that it’s patently obvious all they care about now is hurling in high Summer. Gleeson is key, if he can hurl to his best this Summer they have the players around him to go all the way

Wexford - Big year for Davy and the question is has he maximized what Wexford can do already or is their more improvement to be eked out of them. Just the type of side who could build up a serious head of steam but lacking the depth to go all the way perhaps, would need at least 2 of Galway, KK or Tipp to misfire to have a real chance.

Limerick - Similar to Wexford and improving at a rate of knots, another team I can see getting a serious run going but lack the experience of high intensity championship hurling. 2018 probably a year or 2 too soon for them

Cork - A team full of talented but somewhat frustrating hurlers although you could argue a few of them came of age last year. Will give anyone a game but still a bit weak at the back

Clare - Their a dozy enough hurling side, capable but maybe lacking in star quality to mix it at the highest level.

Dublin - Could cause a surprise on their day but unlikely to repeat it. Not up to much this year I’d say

7 Likes

7 games minimum for the AI winners is going to be a serious test of a counties panel.

Munster’s wide open, home games will be crucial…Limerick/Clare in particular need to win them…dont know what Cork/Waterford will do…Tipp will be Tipp.

A lot easier in Leinster for Galway/KK and Wexford thats for sure.

Tipp beat ye in extra time

Too easy in Leinster bud too easy it’s a joke

1 Like

Im not used to Limerick in cut grass Joe.

How exactly is a footballer kicking a football or a hurler hitting a sliotar a lottery?

Don’t know about Waterford’s form or panel. Relegated in the league (wouldn’t necessarily worry about that in isolation). Maurice has left the panel. Shane Bennett apparently not returning to the fold for the championship and joining you stateside for the summer.

And Malachy gave your boys one hell of a beating in 65 sudden death

The return of Tom Devine surely balances that to some extent.

Galway are the reigning All-Ireland champions and will still be favourites as it would appear they didn’t care too much about the League. Still, very hard to put together back-to-back All-Irelands, very hard to be as hungry and basically every manager will have been looking at ways to beat them over the winter. Then, I think other teams have come on too from last year. Still have an ability to rack up big points tallies, maybe the lack of goals will hurt them more this year?

You’d still have Tipp second despite the performance on Sunday. What it does say is that a lot of the newer players they’ve been trying mightn’t cut it in Championship… Flynn & Heffernan apart. But more worryingly, is the form of some of the older lads… serious questions mark over their full-back line going into Championship. I think they need Barrett back there but then there’s the rumours of his off-field antics and whether he will even feature. But they still need the likes of Noel McGrath, Bubbles, McCormack, Bonner, Callanan. With those back, fit & in-form; they have the best forwards in the country and can go toe-to-toe with anyone. Definitely can be got at though.

Waterford are very hard to gauge; again there are rumours of discontent after Shane Bennett left. They didn’t give a fuck about the League, I find McGrath’s attitude very irritating but there’s no doubt they are 100% focused on Championship. They are a good outfit but we have no idea whether they are any better than last year and I think they’ll need to be. They’ll beat teams on the way but I don’t know if they can beat a Galway or Tipp in a big game; I just don’t see them having enough in attack.

Kilkenny will be buoyed massively by the League victory; I’d say it will do wonders for what is an inexperienced team. How much of a bearing it will have on Championship, I don’t know. They would appear to be vastly superior to last year when they looked old and tired, and it was only a matter of time before they’d be beaten. Now they look fresh and hungry again and will battle against the best. Work rate is incredible, but I think there are still serious doubts over the full-back line and they might rely on TJ & Wally in attack too much. I don’t think they’ll win the All-Ireland but they’ll definitely get out of Leinster and who knows what things will look like then. If they get Richie Hogan back to full fitness, that would be huge. There’s Murphy & Fennelly too… I actually thought Murphy was poor enough last year but at his best, he’s class and Fennelly is certainly a threat even if he has his limitations.

I have great hopes for Limerick but things are going to be so tight in Munster. We really have to sort the wides out, and I worry that I’m pinning too much of my hopes on Peter Casey. Still, we’ll fear no one and I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make it out of Munster. After that, it’s all about momentum.

Cork had a great year last year; if not quite good enough to be All-Ireland contenders. Are they better? Again, hard to know, Meyler had quite a bit of experimentation in the League. The hard ground will suit their forwards, no doubting that they have ability there. Question marks are over their backs again, particularly the spine. Again, hard to judge but personally, I’m not sure they’ll be as good as last year.

Clare will surely be better than last year. They beat Limerick but almost were afraid to beat Cork & Tipp. Showed flashes of brilliance but hit too many wides and gave away too many frees, as they have done for years. Slight signs of improvement in those areas in the League but their full-back line still looks there for the taking and they haven’t been getting as much out of the likes of Conor McGrath as they should. I’d fancy our chances against them, although I’d prefer if it wasn’t in Cusack Park.

Wexford will make it out of Leinster, but I don’t see them as being good enough to win the All-Ireland. Rory O’Connor is a gem and a great addition but I don’t think they’re quite at the level to be beating a Galway or Tipp in a final.

Based on the League, Dublin won’t make it out of Leinster. Hopefully there is a drastic improvement, as I think the Leinster Championship needs a strong Dublin.

5 Likes

Devine is a very different type of player. Good ball winner and a strong direct type of player. Could have done with him in the All Ireland Final. He caused Galway a lot of problems in the league quarter final in Salthill last year. Devine’s primary focus is apparently (and correctly) his medical studies and imminent career in medicine. This could well be his final crack at it.

Maurice and Shane Bennett if they were utilised correctly are about the best scorers that Waterford have. For all the progress Waterford have made, they’re a long way off from amassing a winning total against a Galway, Tipperary or a properly focused Kilkenny team.