Hurling Power Rankings

Best ever defender? Totally different to JJ Delaney. Hayes is most physically dominant half back I have ever seen. He is such an attacking threat, just a physical freak. JJ was the best defender I have seen. Just had it all. I cant ever remember anyone getting the better of him, touch, fielding, blocking,hooking, sniffing out danger. The goat defender.

5 Likes

Best half back Iā€™d say but they play the position very different tbf.

Half backā€™s primary role is to defend. There is no comparison between Hayes and Delaney in this regard. Hayes has reinvented the position, but he is not in same parish as Delaney, when it comes to actual defending.

4 Likes

His men donā€™t be scoring a whole pile.

Hayes is great, but his athleticism is his greatest asset. Thats not a slight on him or to say that he is not a great stickman, but just not in the same league as Delaney imho.

3 Likes

Kyle is obviously very good going forward, but he is 100% the best defender in Limerickā€™s half-back line.

He pretty much has it all for the position- unbelievable in the air, brilliant deliveries, good at the tight stickpassing too, overlapping runs, ridiculous recovery pace, very strong in the tackle.

Thatā€™s not to say heā€™s definitely better than JJ who was obviously class too. I would rate Tommy as the best of the lot though, just serious skills.

3 Likes

I would have Sean Finn as best defender on current Limerick team myself.

5 Likes

Kyle doesnā€™t always get the credit for his skills because heā€™s such a freak of an athlete. His positional sense is unreal too. Very good reader of the game.

Great discipline record as well. Never gets sent off in championship.

Oh definitely.

I did specifically say half-back line tbf. But the skillsets of the half-back line & full-back line are very different these days. You canā€™t just be a pure defender in the half-back line really; you have to be able to hurl. You might get away with being less of a hurler in the full-back line if you can snuff out top forwards.

Finn is unbelievable but I would say most full-back line players are better pure defenders than any half-backs about (obviously defending in the full-back line is a very different task to defending in the half-back line aswell).

1 Like

Kilkenny had to play 1 or 2 games a year most years.

Teams are fitter, stronger, faster and the game is more skillful than it was 5 years ago let alone 10/15.

You simply canā€™t compare.

Lols

Bizarre statement for Kyles club mate

1 Like

Sure you can. You beat who is in front of you.
21 consecutive wins > 15 consecutive wins

1 Like

I meant you canā€™t really compare eras. No slight on the KK team. Theyā€™re still the GOATs. Just :smile:

Kyle is very underrated going backwards.

Heā€™s a stride length like sea the stars

Iā€™ve no idea what that means but yes

3 Likes

How many of those consecutive wins were against the likes of Westmeath, Offaly, Dublin or Wexford?

6 Likes

Sshhhh!

Okay, letā€™s put this to bed, shall we. And what I find gas that before the Cork game the narrative from the @Limericks was that ā€˜oh they owe us nothingā€™ blah blah blah.

Firstly, the current Limerick team are good, very good in fact. 4 AIs out of five is a great return, covid or no covid. But weā€™re looking at 2018 to 2022, five seasons. With KK itā€™s 1998 to 2016; I include the loosing 98 & 99 teams as they reached finals. So, the same seasons is 5 (five) vā€™s 19 (nineteen). This would mean that on a team of 15 KK would get 11 players and Limerick 4. And Iā€™m not taking into account the way Limerick are not refreshing their team in the last six years, pretty much using the same team as won the 2018 AI.
Iā€™ll pick Kilkenny players only as, apart from maybe Cian Lynch and Kyle Hayes, if a Limerick player passed me on the street I wouldnā€™t know them, and I include Oā€™Donovan from Oola who Iā€™m distantly related toā€¦

1. Eoin Murphy - has won it all, multiple times. Great keeper, brave, magnificent shot stopper, plays outfield for the club, 11 points to his name in KK colours. Better than Quaid
  2. Limerick player
  3. Noel Hickey - teak tough, no nonsense, pile of AIs won, one of the first names on the teamsheet during the '00s.
  4. Jackie Tyrell - I might come back to this as Iā€™m putting forward 11 players and Iā€™m on the fence with Jackie. The rest of the players are 9/10 at a minimum, Jackie would be an 8.9/10.
  5. Tommy - Legend. Brings tears to my eyes thinking about how good he was. Won All Stars on the full back, half back, midfield, and half forward line. Brave, skill, size of him.
  6. Limerick player - but only just. Pat Oā€™Neill is one of my favourite players and was around in this era but his best time was early 90ā€™s. If we won either 98 or 99 and we didnā€™t fuck them away, Nailer would be on the team.
  7. JJ - I met JJ at an underage game above in Danesfort that we brought our team from Cork to a few years ago. Chatted about a game that the Feniens and the Lockes were playing (relegation semi) later that day, got pics with Ben & Jerry and 4th of 5. I had tears in my eyes whilst the kids hadnā€™t a clue :cry: The greatest player Iā€™ve ever seen and will ever see.
  8. Micheal Fennelly - injuries hampered him but still came out with eight AIs. Even when not fully fit, which was most times, he was a colossus. Nailed on starter.
  9. Limerick player
  10. TJ - coming near the end but still has it. Carrying the team now through our barren spell, Reid has six AIs to his name. Record points scorer, has it all.
  11. Henry - The king, special teams, a leader, a warrior. Gets on the team for his longevity and his scoring record. Cody loved him as a player.
  12. DJ - The player, not the man he is now. A magician (of a player), small, brave at a time when they didnā€™t spare the timber. Carried KK for a while, won it all.
  13. Richie Hogan - I have to put him in, even though Iā€™d have skin in the game with him. A gentleman, he has all the skill in the world, hurler of the year, another leader in the squad. I could see him getting into coaching/management in a few years.
  14. Eoin Larkin - Just the 8 AIā€™s, he was tough, skillful, went about his business so efficiently youā€™d swear he was barely moving. Peak Larkin was vā€™s Waterford in 2008, Christ he was brilliant that day.
  15. Eddie Brennan - Just excellent, and proved a lot of doubters, myself included, that he was a brilliant player. Fast Eddie would always get you a score (apart from the first half of the 2004 final, for fuck sake Eddie!!!). Great guy.

I think Iā€™ve only given Limerick three spots. Ye can have Jackie at corner back or DJ as heā€™s a thieving cunt.