I won't be able to drink to spread covid

Woof!

That not Cork boi

just wondering why youre here twice a year

Iā€™m casing out your gaff. Lock your windows.

What part of Cork is she from?

Douglas

2 Likes

How do you stick the Cork accent when you visit? What is your coping mechanism? It would drive a normal person ape

1 Like

I never stay more than two days and try not to speak to the locals.

You should stay on tbe south side, near RoCo where i liveā€¦ The accent is on the poor side of the city

I canā€™t tell the difference mate, it all sounds like another language to me.

A bit rich for a nogra to be slagging the carkiesā€¦ Nogra talk through their teethā€¦

Anyway, ill bate the head off my kids if they start talking Cork

You better get her/them out of there soon so.

Itā€™s well established that the best English is spoken in Galway.

1 Like

Ah nowā€¦ Regional accents are greatā€¦ Bar Dublin/Belfast accents. Id prefer Cark over midlands thoā€¦

All the cool kids speak with South Dublin accents now. Regional accents outside of Cork, Limerick Galway cities are largely dying out.

I think you are imagining this because you live in South Dublin mate.

A Galway county accent is much more recognisable than a Galway city accent also

Basing it on young people from all over starting work with us. Strong regional accents are not as prevalent anymore no matter where they come from. Certainly a lot of the flat regional accents are gone.

1 Like

I think the difference there is that most people from Limerick, Cork, Galway City probably went to college in their own city while rural people obviously had to travel and live in different places for college so maybe picked up more neutral accents.

Itā€™s not like the average lad in Banagher or Ardrahan or wherever is suddenly speaking with a neutral accent

1 Like

Maybe that is it.

Social media and FaceTime influences it too I think as they want to sound like each other

This is sort of a related point about dialects

It ainā€™t South Dublin mate, itā€™s Mid Atlantic.

The south Dublin accent is based off that. Itā€™s an aspirational accent that is being widely adopted by people from all over Ireland.

Saoirse Ronan would be an example of a midlands lady with a So Co Du style accent.