I won't be able to drink to spread covid

A beautiful beer

Salthill Knocknacarra were trying to build in a very grey area also. Got knocked back.

1 Like

Is that a pint? Looks midway between half pint and pint?

The dressingrooms and 1 of the 3 new pitches in the new complex are in Claregalway, the other 2 pitches are mostly in Lackagh parish alright.

Yes, that spread is exactly what I was told.

Was struck by how you can see the goalposts of Turloughmore’s pitch not far away.

Is the parish called Lackagh?

1 Like

7 Likes

Back to a Kilkenny pint (Ó Riada’s).

9 Likes

I’d ate that, salivating :yum:

Did you even let that settle fully before you took that big gulp you absolute deviant?

I still absolutely would drink that.

And you would be alive right… Superb.

Blocking out the soccer with my first foray into Arabia Deserta. Meant to be a great book. Picked up this afternoon in Charlie Byrne’s.

2 Likes

I’ve read a passage or two before. I’d say there are bits that would qualify as social anthropology, probably before the field was even really known about.

Pint looks smashing too.

1 Like

Absolutely savage, the Guinness, here…

On third one now. And will have a couple more, with going so good.

3 Likes

Will not spoof… I know little about Arabia Deserta except that it is travel writing (of apparently the kind you broach) and was a huge influence on one of my favourite writers, Henry Green.

I think a lot of people put off reading certain books: Ulysses, Moby-Dick, Gravity’s Rainbow, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon. Another one is Arabia Deserta.

My experience is that such effort is well spent. So…

1 Like

I think what takes it beyond a lot of travel writing was he spent time living with the Bedouin people, as opposed to just writing about them from afar. That’s where I’m probably linking it a little towards social anthropology, even if Doughty wouldn’t have considered himself an anthropologist (and I’m not sure if others have either!). On the other hand, you’d have someone like Malinowski who was very much an anthropologist and probably would have scoffed at notions of being called a travel writer. As with all labels or fields of writing, the boundaries are somewhat blurred.

1 Like

Yep. And spot on about blurring, I think. But you know far more about all this area than I do.

Anthropology, in a.funny way, is the 20th century’s key discipline. TS Eliot, say, was most influenced by anthropology, in strong sense. Claude Lévi-Strauss prompted decades of literary theory.

And Freud is essentially an inverted anthropologist.

Ah, I wouldn’t say that at all. I’m no anthropologist myself, but have dipped in and out of bits. It’s all cross-disciplinary anyway; as you said, you can see its influence on literary and critical theory, psychoanalysis, sociology, and so on.

1 Like

Tis.

1 Like

Thank you.

Funny enough, I gave over two hours yesterday evening in Lackagh Church at Phelim Murphy’s removal. Time I was more than happy to give, with that friend. Extraordinarily massive crowd.

Gods bless the GAA.

6 Likes

I was told that local radio down there had a great tribute to him from Cyril Farrell, I’d love to have heard it.

Know nothing myself about that radio programme, needless to state. But will inquire.