In The Courts

More akin to playing with an action man I’d have thought :grinning:

What sort of grown man spends hours a day playing video games FFS

I’ll have you the next time I’m back in Montenotte you prick. Right after I behead that alt-right Limerick fucker in Rochestown.

Just purchased a PS5 :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Just try to avoid being named after a headline like this and we’ll be fine :grinning: live and let live I say

How the fuck is this still dragging on?

Date to be set for trial of one retired Limerick Superintendent and four serving gardaĂ­ - Limerick Live (limerickleader.ie)

I just spotted Gavan Reilly doing a report to camera outside Henry Street station so we should get his insight later unless there’s something else after happening.

1 Like

He hardly came down just to report on that,

Sure people come up with any kind of excuse to spend a bit of time in Limerick city.

Didn’t think Gavan Reilly did much reporting outside court houses, strange one. I thought that case in question had been dropped.

He signs off his bits and pieces on the radio “Gavan Reilly, Newstalk Court Reporter” every so often.

God those video games make lads very aggressive.

2 Likes

New body cams launched at Henry St Station today. The flailing Minister for Justice was in attendance.

2 Likes

:blush::+1:

Anyone with Indo sub?

2 Likes

PREMIUM

Boyfriend of murdered teacher Ashling Murphy sues BBC for defamation

It is understood action relates to criticism of his victim-impact statement

Mark Tighe

August 03 2024 02:30 AM

Ryan Casey, the boyfriend of murdered teacher Ashling Murphy, has taken a defamation action against the BBC.

Mr Casey filed a High Court defamation case against the British broadcaster on Thursday and is represented by Tullamore firm Brian P Adams & Co.

A BBC spokesperson said: “As this is a live legal matter, we have no ­comment to make.”

It is understood Mr Casey’s legal ­action relates to criticisms that were made of his victim-impact statement to court last November after Jozef Puska, a then 33-year-old Slovakian father of five who lived in Mucklagh, Co Offaly, was found guilty of murdering Ms Murphy (23).

Puska, who had pleaded not guilty to the murder, was sentenced to life in prison by Judge Tony Hunt for ­stabbing Ms Murphy 11 times on January 12, 2022, when she was out for a run along the Grand Canal outside Tullamore.

Puska had lived in Offaly since 2015 with his wife and five children.

Before sentencing, Mr Casey made an emotional victim-impact statement to the court outlining his love for Ms ­Murphy and their plans to build a house, get married and have children together.

ADVERTISEMENT

He described Ms Murphy as “the girl of my dreams and my soul mate”, but said Puska was the “epitome of pure evil”.

I feel like this country is no longer the country that Ashling and I grew up in

Mr Casey said the pain of losing Ms Murphy was “indescribable”.

“It just doesn’t make any sense to me how somebody who is just so insignificant, worthless, lowest of the low, burden to society and overall, a waste of life, can completely and permanently destroy so many people’s lives by taking the life of a person who is the complete opposite – a life with meaning, a life with dreams, a life of love and compassion, respect; a person who contributed to society in the best ways possible,” he said.

Mr Casey said: “It just sickens me to the core that someone can come to this country, be fully supported in terms of social housing, social welfare, and free medical care for over 10 years – over 10 years – never hold down a legitimate job and never once contribute to society in any way shape or form [and] can commit such a horrendous, evil act of incomprehensible violence on such a beautiful, loving and talented person who in fact, worked for the State, educating the next generation and represented everything that is good about Irish society.

“I feel like this country is no longer the country that Ashling and I grew up in and has officially lost its innocence when a crime of this magnitude can be perpetrated in broad daylight. This country needs to wake up; this time things have got to change.

Journalist Kitty Holland. Photo: Collins Courts

“We have to, once and for all, start putting the safety of not only Irish people but everybody in this country who works hard, pays taxes, raises families and overall contributes to society, first.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We don’t want to see any other ­family in this country go through what we have gone through and are continuing to go through.”

These aspects of Mr Casey’s victim-impact statement were criticised on BBC Northern Ireland programme The View last November. Host Mark Carruthers interviewed Irish Times journalist Kitty Holland who said elements of the media were right not to report Mr Casey’s full comments as they were “not helpful”.

Ms Holland said she understood Mr Casey was heartbroken and ­devastated, but said there were “elements that were not good” in his statement. She said the far right had “latched onto” the comments but were ignoring all the cases of violence perpetrated on women by white, Irish men.

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Strange case to take. I don’t think there is one there. He wasn’t defamed himself.

1 Like

I doubt the indo would want to repeat the alleged defamation so left it quite vague. IIRC Holland and Carruthers went a lot further in their criticism.

Also note Holland’s comment that the media was right not to publish the comments from the victim impact statement. Clearly she doesn’t understand the role of the media i.e. give us the facts and well assess ourselves

7 Likes

I watched back the interview after it was aired and didn’t see anything majorly controversial in what she said. I’m almost sure she referred to the Press Council’s code of practice (something I mentioned here at the very time) as rationale for some publications not including the full victim impact statement. From my viewing at the time, there wasn’t anything defamatory, but clearly his legal team seem to think otherwise.

Kitty Holland is not a campaigner first and foremost.