International Elections Thread

Our entire economy is hugely dependent upon accessing the wider European market. That’s a large part of why the multinationals are here and it’s a huge part of our agri exports too. Anything that jeopardises that is bad imho. I think the Germans have been far too inflexible too date but on balance the EU has more pros for Ireland than cons.

I’m no expert on this, but I would have thought we are far more dependent on the UK & USA.

Our main export partner is the UK. Not sure where US ranks vs EU.

certainly neo cons.

the european experiment has failed, the federality and indeed all of the sovereign states are in the thrall of the bankers and ratings agencies. the sooner it is dismantled and back to pre 92 status the better

So your clamping yourself?:wink:

Can you imagine any of our lot having the balls? :):clap::popcorn:

Doesn’t mean you’re not rattled.

You can kindly go fuck yourself, @tallback knows the score. As does any business trying to buy products from the UK right now. Fucking Sterling is gone mental.

Holy shit that’s short sighted.
Let’s go deal with the Hungarians and Greeks cos the Brits are having a rough patch.
We’d be like a Caribbean island if others took that approach with us.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1080948, member: 273”]Holy shit that’s short sighted.
Let’s go deal with the Hungarians and Greeks cos the Brits are having a rough patch.
We’d be like a Caribbean island if others took that approach with us.[/QUOTE]
Shut up you ape.

Not quite. While UK is a significant export destination, the rest of the EU is too. As you may appreciate the UK is actually in the EU (for the moment) with the resulting free trade and market access.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1080948, member: 273”]Holy shit that’s short sighted.
We’d be like a Caribbean island if others took that approach with us.[/QUOTE]

It’s not quite as simple as that. FX changes can have huge implications for businesses. That is one of the big strengths of the Euro.

I’ll post later on when I finish trampling on the proletariat for the day. You might learn something.

exporting good,importing bad

You’d be able to buy half of county clare with the pounds sterling you have in the bank

The demise of the euro doesn’t affect the common market in any way. Don’t confuse the euro with the EU. Also, whatever happens in the EU will not likely affect our trade and travel arrangements with the UK due to our unique connection (the North).

I’m well aware of the difference between the two. The Euro is hugely important because it reduces fx risk. If the Euro went there would be an increased risk to the whole single market.

Again, the risk of an issue with the UK is low but we won’t be attracting MNCs on the back of that alone.

Mind your feet. They can be a bit lumpen.

[QUOTE=“tallback, post: 1080993, member: 1158”]I’m well aware of the difference between the two. The Euro is hugely important because it reduces fx risk. If the Euro went there would be an increased risk to the whole single market.

Again, the risk of an issue with the UK is low but we won’t be attracting MNCs on the back of that alone.[/QUOTE]
Too much emphasis on attracting MNCs anyway and far too much self congratulation over it.

Sure, buts that’s the economy we have. No point risking it stupidly. Get rid of the Pfizers, Intels and Googles and see how that impacts every other worker - just look at the impact in Limerick when Dell shut up shop.

I presume you’ll be lodging all your savings in Greece now as a show of solidarity with their brave stand?