Investment Advice

If you had purchased 1000 of Northern Rock shares one year ago they would now be worth 4.95

With HBOS, earlier this week your 1000 would now be worth 16.50

1000 invested in XL Leisure would now be worth less than 5

But if you bought 1000 worth of Carling one year ago, drank it all, then took the empty cans to an

aluminium re-cycling plant, you would get 214.

So based on the above statistics the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and re-cycle.

(apologies if ye got this already by email; worth sharing thoā€™)

pity its a load of shiteā€¦

Nell McCafferty would love that one MGG. Thereā€™s no way you get a quarter of the price of a can of Carling back when you recycle. Iā€™m not sure about the other figures.

IOTM candidate, believing random e-mails,
BTW, Iā€™ve got 2,000,000 in a Nigerian bank a/c but I need 10,000 to get it out of the countryā€¦give me a callā€¦

[quote=ā€œChicken Georgeā€]IOTM candidate, believing random e-mails,
BTW, Iā€™ve got 2,000,000 in a Nigerian bank a/c but I need 10,000 to get it out of the countryā€¦give me a callā€¦[/quote]

I just pmā€™d you my bank details. Good luck.

Are Bank Of Ireland shares any sort of value at the minute?

About 35c each.

They seem to have plenty of money to spend on ā€˜Pet Projectsā€™.

The only pet project should be getting those cunts out of gorse hill and sharpish

Go for it

Itā€™s basically a play on Ireland recovery. The recent good news is probably priced in so further improvement in Irish economic performance probably required to get upside. Without knowing the full details, the gov shareholding would worry me too.

If I were you Iā€™d look at other opportunities which are less Ireland centric - like most people youā€™ve probably got a lot of eggs invested in Irl doing well I.e house, job, reduced taxes etc. not sure whether adding to this is the best plan.

@Julio_Geordio or othersā€¦any pension gurus here?

Iā€™ll give it a go if you want mate

Sound.

I have a reasonably substantial sum in a deferred DC scheme from previous employer. It was cheap and I was quite happy to leave the funds there long term as IMO there is a decent benefit in maintaining couple of separate schemes if possible. Wrote to me this am anyways saying they are winding up the scheme and can either transfer to new employers fund ( which Iā€™m not entitled to join for another 6 months) or transfer into personal retirement bond.

Whatā€™s a personal retirement bond and is it a decent option

A personal retirement bond is something you setup yourself and you can only pay one lump sum into it. Itā€™s closed then after that. Even if you left the next job with a few years of pension payments you wouldnā€™t be able to add the two together. Your limited in what you can invest in them, generally just generic enough funds.
Itā€™s the vanilla option (which doesnā€™t necessarily make it a bad thing).
Itā€™s not always the best way to travel but it very much depends on the size of the pot, time of service etc. It depends on circumstances as I said but there are other options available, such as a PRSA. A bit about it below. The last paragraph being key.

I wouldnā€™t transfer to the new employers fund btw. keep it separate as you say. Some of them wouldnā€™t accept a transfer in as well.

Really you need to go to a pensions guy and get him to go through your circumstances so he can advise on options as depending on circumstances either could be right.

So youā€™re saying soliciting advice off strangers on the internet isnā€™t the best way to go? Incredible.

1 Like

Soundā€¦yeah no interest in transferring into new employers fund. Both PRSA and PRB look v expensive options compared to my employers fund which was at .2% paā€¦gonna cost me a couple of grand a year in fees

Iā€™m seething

A nice problem to have. If you need a good pensions guy I can give you a steer. Theyā€™ll generally have a look for free.

Sometimes itā€™s the only way to go, just not in this instance.

1 Like