Investment Opportunities (get poor quickly schemes)

5 options

@glasagusban if you are on Instagram there is an account there called askpaul now… He is a financial advisor

If you can get past the strong Dub accent and the cheeky chappy persona I think he gives really good practical advice on his account in a straightforward way. Lot of saved highlights with details around investment funds etc

He’s obviously not a completely independent voice in that he is selling himself, and would like to sell you some investment products… But well worth a look IMVHO

1 Like

I had a call with a pension adviser today as it happens I have 3 old work pensions apart from my current one he’s going to package them into one ARF and I will have access to withdraw 25% tax free from when I am 50 up to when I am 70 and draw down the rest as an income stream. Had a good chat today and agreed on the investment portfolios I will be going into based on my risk profile. It will transfer to my missus if I croak it first as opposed to an annuity which dies with you. He got my authorisation to contact the 3 pension providers and the current balances are a lot more than I expected, that said markets have performed strongly over the last 5-10 years. Good to have them all packaged up under one provider now though.

2 Likes

Well worth doing that. The point about the ARF though, at the moment you don’t have an annuity… You have a pension fund … You only buy an annuity when you retire and access your pension… So what happens your existing pension fund with your employer if you do most likely there is insurance on your life as part of it and also your wife would get an income from it

It’s also worth keeping some of your pensions apart… If you are made redundant in your 50s you can access some of your pension funds tax free… In that situation worth having pension funds in couple of places because you can crack open one and let the other one alone…

1 Like

You’d want to live to be a million to get value with an annuity.

3 Likes

Yep…there is a death in benefit with my current employer with an income stream for the spouse. All a bit morbid but better to have your affairs in order I suppose.

1 Like

Just be careful you arent worth more dead than alive

1 Like

General thinking would be if you’re not, you need to make sure you are!

1 Like

AP higher scale goes into PO normal scale no?..

ETF’s are a good way for people to diversify cheaply and gain broad market exposure. However, isn’t the tax treatment in Ireland quite complicated?

You can’t use losses to offset profits.

yep, AP1 goes into PO scale but there’s a catch: they are only used fully as a grade by 3 departments and if youre in a department that isnt one of those the grade is like gold dust and there’s murders every time there’s a competition announced for it

1 Like

On top of which its not Capital Gains Tax?

After 8 years there is some exit tax, possibly CGT. You can lose money 7 of the 8 years but still be liable for profits in the one year IIRC.

Do a lot get it on seniority? If you’re an AP for ages they seem to give it

competitive process in most departments AFAIK. some departments do it on seniority but AHCPS prefers comps

There’s a current comp for PO higher. Think positions only in Taoiseach’s, Finance and PER.

What’s the point of AP 1? Is there any differentiation in the work or is it basically a long service reward for people that aren’t going to make PO?

theres a difference in DPER, finance and taoiseachs, there is a difference in the work. in the other depts its long service reward for those who havent or dont want to get PO

It’s nice the way the civil service looks after people who don’t have the ability or ambition to progress on to the next grade but still feel they deserve a bit more money all the same. That will drive fellas mad altogether.

1 Like

Yeah. Bit of a balls. Taxed as income rather than CGT.

Used to be a way around it by investing in US ETFs as they were treated as shares but brokers can no longer sell them to you.

1 Like