Ireland in the EU

I’d be interested to know why we do actually import so many spuds.

I’d say we don’t have great weather for it but other than that couldn’t think of why we might

For chips apparently.

1 Like

The euro zone is a cluster fuck economically… What started as a political initiative has superceded that and made a fuck of the economy.

How can interest and credit rates be decided for the whole when each country has a completely different economic output and needs?

How can the government apply the same policies to Dublin and Kerry? The two have totally different needs.

2 Likes

You handicap.

We export 13 bn of agri food and live animals to the UK then we turn around and import 11 bn of agri food and live animals from the UK. Shouldn’t be too hard to figure out the solution to that conundrum but shur everyone loves a good old doomsday scenario moan

1 Like

But we don’t export and import the same stuff. We export dairy products, mushrooms and beef we import different stuff like spuds and veg.
We’ll adjust no doubt. But you can’t just flick a switch. I’d imagine there’ll be a lot of shenanigans with stuff going through the north by both sides.

1 Like

1 Like

So that’s why we import spuds?

we got the m50 and m1 sush

for shame

It was on the strength of the punt and setting our own Interests rates that we enjoyed our greatest boom and protected Irish exports… We have steadily declined since joining the single currency… That’s why we import potatoes.

If you had lived in Ireland in the 70s, you wouldn’t be asking stupid fucking questions like this.

12 Likes

Most of us are too young to remember ireland before the EU but we were shit poor, among the poorest nations in the western world. Being in the EU allowed us to tactically increase the country’s wealth. The EU has done a lot of good for ireland. The EU has its flaws but we benefit more by being in it. John Bull is in for a rude awakening. We shouldn’t make the same mistake

2 Likes

So why do we export loads of beef

Whats the difference between the two commodities

It seems like you haven’t a clue. Did you join a new political party or something?

I don’t think I asked a question there at all mate.

You asked a question in the opening post but it was such a stupid fucking question I wasn’t going to waste my time scrolling back to it.

2 Likes

They were not ating olives and hummus in Limerick in the 70s anyway.

1 Like

It’s a question of being dictated to on what we can farm, what we can fish, how much we have to pay, how much we can borrow… None of it in the national interest.

The 70s is over 40 years ago… Time moves on, some people dont.