Ireland politics (Part 1)

The twitter mob demanded answers, An Tanaiste took 2 minutes to tweet and clarify. But I would prefer he employed some minions to handle this tedious work.

Someone needs to take the shovel off the cunt

1 Like

And bury him with it.

The department said it has also started monitoring tweets about An Garda Síochána, prisons, family law, domestic violence and family courts. It said monitoring social media allowed it to “correct any inaccuracies raised, investigate complaints and respond accordingly”.

Pity they wouldn’t just correct their course.

It’s a basket case of a department with massive culture problems, it’s entirely fucked.

1 Like

People are unable to have an opinion on how the government are run. Is this a free country? I can understand if civil servants tweets are monitored as they are employed by the state. I wonder if they are monitoring here?

They should just listen to Joe Duffy. Job is oxo

1 Like

Only took him. 3 days and 10 advisors to come up with that :smile:

3 Likes

It makes sense to do it to some degree. Public opinion should inform policy choices, you could show it to a minister and say here, this is what people think of direct provision, it is a factor that should be taken into account in deciding what you want to do with it.

But clearly that isn’t what they’re doing, and the loaded and partisan language they used in the report that you can see from excerpts in the article is simply unprofessional.

But justice would be doing it entirely to defend itself. The whole department has an extremely conservative and authoritarian and disfunctional culture, from everything I can see.

I’d like to go work there in the future, there is scope to make a lot of change.

Sorry to break it to you pal but unless you’re going to justice as secgen you won’t make a jot of difference.

Best thing they could do is torch the place and start again

Haven’t civil servants always monitored media - newspapers etc.

This is a non story

3 Likes

Post reported, so long fucko.

2 Likes

No offence intended there . Just making a point . Purely coincidental .

You certainly spiced things up a bit

I’d disagree, too often social media is influencing political decisions, a lot during this lockdown. We elect our officials based on their policies and they should deliver on them based on the 5 year term. That’s a very simplest way of sayimg it but if we allow social media determine every decisions, it’ll be the loudest wins everytime.

Opinions have gotten way too partisan too, no space for nuance and compromise. My issue is we have civil servants at the early stage of censorship. There is some people with opinions that are completely wrong ie. GOD but the lublic should be informed enough to know she is full of shit. Censorship will only strengthen her arguement

1 Like

What fifty cranks write on twitter is not public opinion.
Public opinion should be gauged by going out and about the place.
In any case, governing should perhaps take account of, but certainly not be slave to public opinion.
I’ve read that if the ingerlish had a referendum on it, hanging would be brought back.

4 Likes

They’re monitoring it, not letting it dictate things.

Monitoring on the face of it but for what purpose. I’m going to fetch my tinfoil hat but it leaves me unsettled

So a department should take no heed whatsover of high profile people and Hozier publicly criticising something they have responsibility for?

1 Like