Ireland politics (Part 1)

Of course you have the likes of the Iona Institute cunts fighting to keep the situation as is as well.

What possible justification can be given for such a situation to be allowed to continue?

Set up most of the country’s hospitals.

And schools.

When no one else was doing it.

3 Likes

The blame lies squarely with the Parish Priest not only in your parish but every parish.
The power they wielded was truly incredible and they knew it.
This culture flowed from the top down, there were politicians in thrall of the crozier.

The records of the religious orders make for poor viewing. The current scandal, the Magdalene laundries, Brendan Smyth and his ilk all destroying the lives they were supposed to be enhancing.

6 Likes

no need to take that drastic step at the moment: we should remove charitable status, remove the protections of the woods deal and start proceedings to recover the monies

1 Like

Some of the nuns sounded like awful headbangers. Heard one woman describing how one nun basically threw her new born across the room at her as she lay in bed after giving birth and scolded her to “take your piglet”.

Unreal the shit they got away with.

“Do we need to face up to the fact that large amounts of the country is comfortable enough with the current set up?”

large amounts of the country were comfortable with the homes when they were running.

4 Likes

They still don’t get it. They were jumping up and down only weeks ago about some bad RTE joke as if anyone gives a shit.

3 Likes

Ah it’s a lot more complicated than that. @Thomas_Brady is probably the best man to go through it but in my opinion it probably starts with the famine, over population was a major factor in the death toll that caused. I’m fairly sure the famine is hard wired into our dna still. Even if it wasn’t consider that my granny used to tell me that she knew people who had lived through the famine, she died in the 1970s. So there was a folk memory of it and it’s consequences.

Then there was land and the land wars and the rural people finally get a bit of land. You weren’t going to endanger that by having some bastard coming along and claiming it as an inheritance. Though I think illegitimates had very limited inheritance rights.

Also we were generally very poor and feeding families, which were big enough anyway was a struggle. So in the absence of actual contraception the next best way of avoiding young ones getting pregnant was to create this terror around sex. Definitely the church were complicit in this and the way they and their cronies in FF and FG held back access to contraception for so long was criminal, but did they drive or even create this terror themselves, I really don’t know.

14 Likes

Psycho, insanely hateful stuff.

Large amounts of the country would probably prefer not to foot the compensation bill that should be paid.

You can only shake your head looking back at how strong a stranglehold the church had on the state, and how malevolent the church was.

Yeah fair enough. Cross are migrant project is another one I know if and there are probably a few other charities doing good work operating on church funding.

The school’s are hardly a point in their favour in my view given the abuse that went on there and the fact it part of their way of maintaining control.

The hospitals, ok perhaps.

Society is to blame as much as anything. No one questioned a single thing. You can say people were brainwashed and what not but everyone is born with a moral compass. The farmer who took a 7 year old out of a mother and baby home to do slave labour was to blame, the lady who wouldn’t pass on a telegram for a mother who’s daughter got pregnant was to blame. Fathers who let a priest and 2 nuns drive up the passage in a VW beetle to whisk off the daughter were to blame as well as of course the church and the state. It goes to show that in this country we are happy to defer authority to others and unequivocally accept the one narrative and zeitgeist of our times. Peoples social standing was all they had to a point. You can’t tell me no blame lies with that of a family sitting around a kitchen table eating their dinner with the daughter in absentia and life going on as if nothing happened. They let it happen unfortunately. Having read some extracts of the report the sheer evil that was in places like Bessborough doesn’t bare thinking about. I have seen names of victims and they deserve full closure and compensation but I can’t understand why we can’t see names of nuns etc who perpetrated these despicable acts.

12 Likes

The same as that. On our knees where the clergy wanted to keep us.

That’s a reflection of the grip of the church on the population. A denunciation from the pulpit and it was curtains for any election campaign.
The blame lies on all three, the church, the governments and the population at large.

1 Like

There was a good article in the IT today about one woman working for the department of health who wrote scathibg reports on the homes. You can imagine what she was up against. It’s going on up to today to a degree, our records on whistleblowers is terrible. Imagine what would have happened McCabe if he hadn’t recorded his conversation with the Garda commissioner. We’ve come a long way but there’s a good road to go yet.

1 Like

People like simple solutions to complex issues. The churchs role was not just scandalous but truly evil in it’s rawest sense. The report suggests the state and society was happy enough to go along with it. This is a different kind of evil but no less profound. The church in truth was only part of the problem

2 Likes

An unholy trinity it turns out…

1 Like

Is the state fully liable legally ?? Morally is another issue