Ireland politics (Part 1)

I recall a neighbouring girl of mine getting pregnant in the mid 90’s. She was around 18. The fucking scandal. Most of the ‘sympathy’ seemed to be directed towards her madly religious mother.

Anyway it worked out well in the end. She and the fella are married since with more kids - grown up now. 20 years earlier - God knows.

5 Likes

Undeniably so.

Speaking of which, any comment from @the_man_himself yet here?

Is this not the bit that is conveniently overlooked? Most of these girls ended up in these places as there was nowhere else to go because their own family were ashamed to be talk of the town ?

5 Likes

Look in to their history proclaims and ff politicians when asked about sf. They should be more worried of their own. Same applies to fg

1 Like

It’s harrowing stuff. The earlier woman was raped at 12/13 and then told she was a sinner forced to give up her baby. The women on now sounds like shes in her 40s or 50s.

Every party bar SF and the new ones are filthy in it. No one escapes culpability. It’s the states responsibility. I don’t see how trying to blame a political party helps.

2 Likes

i think the last few referendums have shown that they are a vocal minority and should be challenged. now is the timer to strike in this regard with the widespread revulsion about the M&B report

1 Like

What sort of power did this stain have over people that they would disown their own family? It beggars belief.

My late uncle, born in the 20’s, was the most religious person I have ever known but there is no way he’d abandon one of the family in that position. He may not have liked it and may view that person somewhat differently but he would support them.

I think there was a drop of the cunt in families who disowned their kids. There had to be.

2 Likes

I’d point the finger entirely at the Catholic Church. The grip it had on the people of Ireland shaped this.

Happened to a cousin of mine in the 70s. Her parents were incredibly religious and her uncle was a priest. She was hastily married had the child and nine months after the wedding driven down to Granny to present a fairly hairy baby as a newborn. Herself and the husband are still together thank God and are a lovely couple to this day.

3 Likes

Yes. The report goes very big on this. In lots of cases these people were abandoned/forced into these places because of the shame they felt. As the survivors reports detail, some parents were more concerned about what the shame would mean for a woman’s brothers careers etc… mental to even contemplate it really.

1 Like

and im in the senior department, youd do well to remember that!

Agree. It couldn’t have had it without the state’s and societies complicity though.

One of the most horrific facts noted in the report was that if the born child had any type of serious defect (quite possible given the first birth circumstances of the mothers), they were essentially let die without any medical help.

That and the testing of vaccines.

1 Like

It was the Catholic Church which shaped the state\society. It held the very soul of Ireland.

A legacy of devout politicians from the birth of the state

1 Like

And it’s effect on the country is sickening.

I don’t think you can point to a single positive thing the Catholic church has done for Ireland.

1 Like

We said the rosary every night when I was growing up.

We always ended up missing the start of Match of the Day on a Saturday night because the grown ups had to see Kenny Live.

1 Like

I think this is happening slowly and suits the state tbh. A sudden return of hundreds of schools /hospitals into state’s care would be a logistical nightmare. Given how poorly we manage institutional management in general at the moment, I’d imagine it would be a complete shitstorm.

Ever heard of the Peter McVerry trust?