Ireland politics (Part 1)

I am nothing but fair mate.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a presumption that youā€™ve made, and ignored all the context that Iā€™ve put to you.

Say the salaries were too high, as you presume. A lot of sacrifices and concessions were made on the agreement that restoration would happen. Thatā€™s an agreement, itā€™s fair, there was give and take. And restoration took a lot longer than than expected too.

Youā€™ve also ignored that cost of living has gone up massively. Is that relevant?

The pay scale structure isnā€™t ideal but Iā€™m not sure how else the government can deal with public service en masse as they have to do.

1 Like

Can I ask, do you have experience of this or are you basing it on hearsay and received wisdom?

To be honest the vast majority of people Iā€™ve worked with in a few organisations are good, and dedicated. There are a few bad ones, no more than there seem to be in most professions from I can tell.

Itā€™s not a presumption there is plenty of reports that came to the same conclusion. Benchmarking cost ā‚¬1.2 billion a year from 2000. Average Public sector pay in Ireland increased by 67% between 1999 and 2006 in Bertieā€™s vote buying agenda. The economy went off a cliff then and some of the crazy pay was cut back. There is very little opposing debate that Benchmarking was a mistake apart from in the public sector of course.

2 Likes

They are afraid to take on the unions because it is politically unpalatable. This has lead us to a situation where we have a public sector including our health service being designed for the people who work in them rather than the public they are supposed to be serving and we have underpaid and overworked nursesā€™ pay being tied to overpaid and underworked middle management and pencil pushers. You might think that is an acceptable situation but I donā€™t.

6 Likes

I have worked in one state agency and a government department and my experience would not match yours. Some hard working well meaning people being overworked and completely undermined by a large group of wasters who are facilitated by their unions.

4 Likes

Name names there horsey

1 Like

Iā€™d rather not.

Donā€™t be relying on the government to look after you

Ok. Is public sector pay from over a decade ago still grossly inflated? What about the context of the agreements and efficiencies and increased productivity achieved since?

As farmer said, there is probably over and underpay at different levels across the public sector.

I have a good job and a good wage and Iā€™m happy with that, but Iā€™d certainly be earning a lot more if Iā€™d pursued a career in the private sector.

A study would have to be done on that to compare public sector total remuneration versus public sector total remuneration and also public sector in other countries with cost of living taken into account before I could say definitively but I would guess yes it probably is. The savings and efficiencies you trumpet are just people working a bit smarter than they were which isnā€™t all that smart in many ways and really is nothing to be crowing about. ā€œLook we have stopped pissing away loads of money and we have changed some of our backwards and outdated ways of working so please reward us.ā€ Thatā€™s just called doing your job in other sectors.

1 Like

How was the productivity achieved?

1 Like

No thatā€™s not true at all.

1 Like

Go on refute it so.

I did. You stated a bald opinion without any reference to facts or any supporting information at all, and I said it was wrong.

Efficiency, utilization and productivity - is it really measurable though in terms of FTE.

Your statement of savings and increased efficiencies and productivity is a bald opinion without any reference to facts or supporting information at all.

1 Like