Ireland politics (Part 1)

The area has never flooded since records began, which was in 2001 after the original hall of records was mysteriously washed away

9 Likes

Her name is Bridie Waters after all. I should have been more suspicious.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Your school experience has turned you off that name Flatty.

:clap:

Indeed. Thatā€™s exactly what springs to mind.

1 Like

@myboyblue - thought you might like that :slightly_smiling:

Did you call into your mate Simon Danczuk in Rochdale?

Na I was visiting Cyril.

1 Like

What do ye make of Shane Rossā€™ Independents Charter, Lads? Donā€™t see how itā€™ll work in practice but I think it may be an electoral masterstroke. Heā€™s mugged off Renua and the social Democrats.

Heā€™s an awful cunt.

I think @HBV mugged him off properly on here before.

Thereā€™s a few roaster Co Councillors who are standing for the General Election in Tipp but who are now in the Offaly constituency.

Theyā€™re annoyed that they have no control over budgets where their local voters are based.

By cross referencing this with the RTE Prime Time investigation in political corruption on a local level, every ā€˜strokeā€™ pulled by a politician since the inception of the states and every brown envelope send in every direction by developers and entrepreneurs in this country itā€™s not difficult to see how we are in a never ending cycle of Boom v Bust.

Cllr John Oā€™Donnell of Prime Time Investigates fame is in court today as a woman he drove over is seeking compensation to the tune of ā‚¬33,000.

The full story is here http://www.donegaldaily.com/2016/02/03/john-odonnell-court-sensation-i-owe-e2million-and-lost-out-to-francois-ponzi-scheme/

He has made some remarkable claims about his personal finances including:

• He didnā€™t have any salary from his wool exporting business, other than the use of a company BMW X5
  • He didnā€™t own a luxury camper van called ā€˜Betsyā€™ in which he travelled the entire Wild Atlantic Way last year. He said it was a Ā£480-per-week rental.
  • He didnā€™t currently own a car but had been given a Volvo V40 free by McGinley Motors ā€œHe gave it to me as a goodwill gesture until I can buy oneā€.
  • He didnā€™t own the Millbridge Inn and didnā€™t hold the liquor license for it. He was managing it free of charge or salary for family friends.

So he has two cars and owns neither of them? Nice.

What does he mean Salary for Family Friends? Does that mean he was being paid for Managing the bar but he was giving the salary for Family friends?

I presume it should have been written ā€˜free of charge, or salary, for family friends.ā€™.

And the occasional opportunity to go for a ride in ā€˜Betsyā€™.

Interesting reading in the Fine Gael election strategists musings on the fallout. Turns out that in Ireland, for now at least, itā€™s not just the economy stupid.

The old failing of Fine Gael though. Tone deaf and congenitally lacking in a humanising compassion that will make the electorate warm to them.

And predictably caught on the hop today while Fianna Fail immediately get in to set the agenda with an attractive new policy which they didnā€™t mention a word about in their manifesto.