Ireland politics (Part 1)

I seen a thread on here for UK politics so decided to start one for Irish politics. So state how you feel about those folks who are representing you? How you feel about the parties? How you think the current government are doing running the country?

Would you ever fuck off:)

Nope. :slight_smile:

The country is called Ireland.

Think I am watching too much leaders questions this week. :frowning:

Vote No to Abolishing the Seanad

+1.

+1

:slight_smile:

What do ye make of the new European constituencies gents? I think they’re a load of shite. People in the likes of Bray and Enniskerry will be voting on the same candidates as those Dingle and Ventry. Donegal being in with Kildare and Meath is equally ridiculous. I know they didn’t have a whole lot to work with due to the number of seats, but still…

Will it mean candidates from lower centers of population haven’t a hope in hell of getting elected?
Or could you look at it another way and say it takes the local-ism out of the election.

How would you redraw it? I think it’s a good idea. Don’t see any problem with Meath and Donegal being in the same constituency, it’s not like locals are going to be calling up their MEP asking them to fix the potholes.

My favoured redraw would have been a 5 seat “super Dublin” constituency (consisting of Louth, Meath, Dublin, Kildare, Wexford and Wicklow), a 3 seat Southern constituency (Laois, Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford, Tipp, Limerick, Clare, Cork and Kerry) and a 3 seat Western constituency (Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Clare, Offaly, Longford, Westmeath, Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Cavan and Monaghan)

I thought it was 5, 4, and 4; no?

Nope, our seat allocation has been diluted to 11 seats.

I see. Anyway I don’t see the problem with the bigger constituencies, MEPs are supposed be representing the country more so than any local area anyway.

Previewing the new constituencies anyway:

Dublin (1 FG, 1 SF, 1 Green)- By far the hardest of the 3 to call. FG will pick up one of the seats. SF will get strong support in Fingal and will get a seat by virtue of that. I can see Emer Costello exceeding low expectations in spite of her being a Labour candidate but be competing for the left vote with the incredibly deluded and stupid Paul Murphy, who will be competitive nonetheless. However my big upset prediction for the election would be Eamon Ryan sneaking home for the Greens. He’s well liked in affluent areas, even though he lost his seat, and I think he could poll well

North/East (2 FG, 1 FF, 1 Ind) - I would say FG are locked in to get 2 here. McGuinness will top the poll, and they’ll get a western candidate in too (word is for O’Mahony, Larkin not strong enough). FF will get one, more than likely Pat The Cope. The final seat will be between FF, SF and Marian Harkin. Harkin is well liked, but could come under pressure from a FF candidate from the midlands or a border counties Sinn Feiner. A transfer system will be a harder sell for FF due to the size of the constituency and that could see Harkin get it.

South (2 FF, 1 FG, 1 SF) - One FG here again (Kelly), possibly 2. SF should get something out of Munster and FF will get one also (Aylward or Crowley). The final seat will be between the 2nd FG hopeful (needs to be a Wicklow/Kilkenny/Carlow candidate), an FF grab for 2. How FF work the Awlyard/Crowley dynamic will decide that race, and if they don’t fuck it up, I think they’ll get the last one. Can’t see an independent getting a quota here at all. Labour can forget about it here too.

SF will definitely get a seat in the North Constituency between Donegal, Louth & Monaghan. I can’t see Sean O’Riada’s daughter getting one in the south though. She’s no Tioreassa !

:frowning:

Embarrassing that we have a Taoiseach who is afraid to debate in public, even on an issue that he is driving force behind. He’s some lemon.