Ireland v Greece - UEFA EURO 2024 Qualifying

I donā€™t know about that. Mickā€™s second spell had all the hallmarks of someone told after the fact that heā€™d be out of the job in two years. Hard to blame him I suppose although he was on very good money for the two years as well.

I like Obafemi as well.

1 Like

While he is sporting a haircut that his wife gave him he will never have a chance

2 Likes

The manā€™s got no plums

This us how an international manager should appear

Well turned out, not like he is on the way back from a hardware shop

6 Likes

Iā€™d expect @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy will back UEFA and the Greeks here

Liverpool fans at it again?

The modern thick Dublin accent is not an accent that can be taken seriously in sports management. It just canā€™t. I say that as somebody who has such an accent.

Neither can a Cockney accent or a modern Scouse accent.

A manager needs to pronounce their words correctly. No ā€œwhaā€ or ā€œihā€.

Kevin Heffernan had a well spoken Dublin accent. It was identifiably Dublin, but he pronounced all his words properly. You could imagine this man being Chairman of the Labour Court. He commanded respect. Pat Gilroy has a similar well spoken Dublin accent. Dessie Farrellā€™s troubles mainly stem from his monotone speaking voice.

Joe Fagan could be taken seriously because he had an old school, trustworthy Scouse accent. Whereas Steven Gerrardā€™s accent and demeanour marked him out as somebody whose managerial career was never going to be taken that seriously for too long.

With certain managers, thereā€™s a ā€œthe lights are on but thereā€™s nobody homeā€ vibe. Bryan Robson, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Stuart Pearce fall into this category.

Roy Keane and Graeme Souness werenā€™t stupid but fell into the psychopath category. Glenn Hoddle fell into the cunt category. These men just didnā€™t want to understand the psychology of men and how to lead them.

Kevin Keegan was the supermarket Shankly. He was able to lead men but only up to the point his lack of real football intellect was exposed, and once that happened, it was over. Tommy Lyons was his Gaelic football equivalent.

The man who broke all the rules was Sean Boylan. There is no way that man should have become what he did. And yet he did.

9 Likes

I was on a train from Galway to Dublin on Wednesday lunchtime and Will Oā€™Callaghan of Off The Ball got on at Tullamore and sat a few seats in front of me, looking towards me, I could see him through the gap in the seats. He looked like an incredible muck monster. He had wild eyes and it looked like there were things growing in his beard, and possibly his hair. He stared at me a few times too like you might imagine somebody would stare at somebody they didnā€™t like at school if they saw them on a train a decade later.

5 Likes

Under Mick we entered the last 10 minutes of the last qualification game pushing hard for a goal to send us to the Euros against an excellent Denmark team. A long way ahead of where we are now

6 Likes

Thatā€™s cause he was a Leitrim man.

1 Like

What about rugby and gaa leaders in this theory? Paul o connell, ronan o gara, Brian Cody, Billy Morgan, babs, Micko, Paidi and maybe even jack o connor are quite leader of menish. ,

Do we still have a chance of qualifying if we come 4th in this group through some type of nations league play off route?

Itā€™s not the special Olympics

6 Likes

Potentially could get a playoff if majority of teams ranked above us qualify automatically.

McCarthy had an aging team with long balls, no cohesiveness and a reliance on David McGoldrick.

Kenny had to pretty much start from scratch with a new team and keeping the ball on the floor.

Obviously Mick has much more pedigree as a manager down the years but these things need to be borne in mind in the overall picture.

I forgot Joe Kinnear, but he moved to London at 8 years old, so he was more a product of England than Ireland.

David Oā€™Leary was born in London, as was Paul McGrath, but they were very much not products of England.

1 Like

We were showing signs of keeping it on the floor but the other night blew that out of the window. We couldnā€™t string a pass together.

Oā€™Dowda played as a left back was really bad, he was completely exposed, the fact Manning, Abankwah and potentially Cirkin are there shows Kennyā€™s mindset. Molumby is a poor version of Cullen who is average. No idea what Darragh Lenihan has done to be get a start.

3 Likes

Oā€™Dowda has 27 caps and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever seen him play well for Ireland. Maybe in an obscure friendly against Oman or something.

1 Like